Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: A Different kind of SHB trap

That's one way. I try to have drawn comb for the bees from a slimed hive, I've only had one, and put the bees & queen in a fresh hive. Then I freeze the comb for 3 days. AfteriI remove it I let it thaw out and then I rinse off the watery slime and put the comb on a strong hive which cleaned it up & was able to use the resources that were still OK.
    This was told to me by the bee inspector. The hive cleaned out the dead SHB larvae and the disgusting comb was like new again.
    BTW the fermented pollenfrom a slimed comb is the ultultimate bait if you ever use the beetle jail traps that have a center section for bait.

David,

Very interesting idea!

I just found this product today that may well augment your hive beetle harvest! Pretty cute idea to keep the little varmints from climbing back up into the hive from the bottom board! I have been thinking a lot about how to keep the buggers out of the hive or at least reduce the numbers that get inside. Purely mechanical methods to funnel them "elsewhere" without leaving large amounts of oil or other noxious or difficult to handle substances inside the hive. You might eventually need a method to empty the dead carcases from your trap.

http://www.beetlebaffle.com/the-beet.../product-info/

Here is a link to the Beetle Jail entrance trap Youtube video that may be the one you saw. I found it very interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egLroAZ_Qn0

Tim H
    Last edited by TooFarGone; 08-22-2013 at 10:23 PM.

TooFarGone - I suspect that you are correct in that the beetle baffles and my device might make a combination which is more effective than either one by itself.

The beetle jail is indeed the entrance trap that I was refering to earlier. I should get one just to try although all of the oil traps that I have used in the past had the same drawback - they get sooo nasty. Especially in hot weather when the beetles are at their peak.

None-the-less these have me thinking about ways that I can make my idea work better. IF the baffles are as effective as they claim (Of which I am naturally skeptical, but still it's worth trying) then together we may be on to an effective, low maintenance control.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

The beetle baffle looks like it might confuse them but eventually they will get around it unless they are really clumsy. The beetle jail is similar but traps and kills them. You could add a small plastic sign with poison to kill them with the beetle baffle. If your bottom board is a screen and you place a catch container under the screen that might work.

Gene

Quote Originally Posted by challenger View Post
    Developing a SHB entry defense system would take a huge burden off a whole lot of beeks. I look forward to seeing one. The sooner the better.
    There are several available. Here's one example:

http://beetlejail.com/store/index.ph...&product_id=55
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by David LaFerney View Post
    I made and deployed about a dozen of these around 6 weeks ago....
    I think you might be on to something.

I don't know all the legal ins and outs, but it seems to me that if you come up with an innovation that might shake the beekeeping world, it might be worth looking into a patent. There might already be one out there. But if there's not, you might could market that and make a bundle.
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

Wow David. I think you are really on to something here. I have been thinking for a long time about finding a better way to completely make the SHB extict from our continent. Can you imagine if every bee hive in the country had "LaFerney SHB Traps," we could maybe exterminate the SHB. I will play with your idea and see what it will do.
    No one famous.

Thanks guys. I believe the best use of this idea is to get as many creative people as possible to freely adapt it to come up with the most effective form for everyone to share. I doubt if we will ever wipe out SHB, but we can probably learn to manage them a lot better.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

I like to set my goals high - WIPE 'EM ALL OUT! I say.

Anyway, please keep your ideas going and let us know of any more discoveries. I am taking your idea to heart and putting both of my brain cells to work in that direction. Thank you so much for sharing this awesome idea.
    No one famous.

Actually I do have another idea for this - put a trap out cone under the center section where the buggers go into the trap. It would have to be a lot thicker to accommodate this, but once there were in they would be a lot less likely to get back out.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

That sounds ok though. I can't see where the thickness of the bottom would really be a bad thing. Maybe it would even act like a breeze suppressor and help out a little on cool days.

I was playing with the idea of using strong pheromones that actually attract small hive beetles, and constructing a trap on the pattern of a wasp/hornet type system, and placing it in areas away from the hives. It sounds a little risky when you think of "attracting" the little buggers, but if it worked, it could draw them away from the hives and devastate the SHB population. Thoughts?
    No one famous.

I'm kind of doing that here.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

Quote Originally Posted by Bee Whisperer View Post
    That sounds ok though. I can't see where the thickness of the bottom would really be a bad thing. Maybe it would even act like a breeze suppressor and help out a little on cool days.

I was playing with the idea of using strong pheromones that actually attract small hive beetles, and constructing a trap on the pattern of a wasp/hornet type system, and placing it in areas away from the hives. It sounds a little risky when you think of "attracting" the little buggers, but if it worked, it could draw them away from the hives and devastate the SHB population. Thoughts?
    I wouldnt add anything else that would attract more beetles. they have tried that tactic with the japanese beetle and it caused more problems then it solved. it attracted more beetles then normal but only trapped a few. i would look for plants that cover the smell like garlic and onion plants.

gene

Interesting David. That is aslo awesome about the hive . . . you saved it.
    No one famous.

deleted--duplication