Default Varroa and oxalid acid

hello

i live in ecuador - so seasons are very different.

i have a few hives with varroa.
    i would like to treat with milk or oxalic aciid, as there is no medication availablle here in ecuador.
    it says everywhere to treat in the brood free time.
    the point is: i do not have broood free time as there is no winter.

any suggestions?

thanks
    ingo

Default Re: Varroa and oxalid acid

Buy the Oxalic Acid Vaporizer and you can tret any time of year. Just do it once a week for three weeks and it knocks the mites down pretty good.

You can use the vapor system without hurting the bees, but the pour on method is only intended to use once when there is a broodless period.
    Coyote Creek Bees

If you confine the queen to 1-2 frames (the only frames in the bottom box with a queen excluder) for 15 days, then release her and after another 7 days remove those 1-2 frames (put in freezer or burn them). At that moment your hive will have no capped brood at all except some drones and you can treat with oxalic acid.

That is a very good tip Olofl - which could also be used with other treatments of course. Thanks.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

Removing those 1-2 frames of capped brood will reduce the number of mites considerably. You might want to measure your mite load to decide if you can postpone the treatment and perhaps repeat the process after a number of months. Especially since open brood might take some damage from treatments.

For people in most of the United States - right now is probably Not a good time to do this because it would seriously interrupt the important fall brood build up. But right after honey harvest in July, and early December when brood production is naturally low it might be a great time.

Also this - there is a fair chance that they will build queen cells above the excluder so one needs to keep an eye out for that.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

hi

thanks for the suggestions - i treated with oxalic acid - lets see what happens