Default moving hives and lost bees.

Shoot me if this is the wrong forum, but I was looking for professional inputs...

Yesterday I had to move a cpl pallets of hives because of some pending construction. I decided to move them about 1/4 mile to eh other side of the same field. Moved them early evening, and put a single there to catch stragglers the next morning.... when I moved the hives I made sure to turn them all a different direction, and put some grass in the entrances.. early morning found a few stragglers, but buy evening there were probably 100,000. (3 deeps full) so apparently they did not reorient at all.....
    When I did a visual on those 8 hives, I couldn't hardly tell.... So my question is, are they really re-orienting, or are we just losing them and not noticing??

Default Re: moving hives and lost bees.

Move them back.
    Then, move them in the late evening or early morning when there is no flight present to a location over 2 miles away.
    I have exactly ONE hive more than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond question.

Oh, I pondered that... Really did.. but now I am curious... so what I did was take those 3 deeps of bees 2 miles away to a pollination site. if those deeps are empty in the next day or two, I think I will have my answer........ the other 2 pallets are really not the worse for wear... losing a cpl frames of foragers from each. not a big problem.... just got me to thinking,

Losing a few thousand foragers from a couple of pallets is never a big deal on strong colonies. At this point in the game they all should be strong.

Break the catch hives down into single deeps, move them a couple miles away, give them one frame of brood and a queen cell. Its an easy way to make three more hives.

I heard to either move them 1 foot or 1 mile at a time. If you move the hive in between that they get lost. I need to move mine too. I was going to try to move them in the winter...??

well the thoery I was told , is that if you move them, change entrance location, and put grass in the hole... now I am wondering if that even matters or if there is something else going on...
    I did add the bees to a single, I also moved it 2 miles... curious to see if I loose those foragers. it will be easy to tell in a day or so...
    never had a lick of trouble moving winter time hives.

You shouldnt have left anything in the old location and they would have found your hives.

I think you have things pretty well figured out. Field bees went back to where their houses used to be. And your colonies were strong enough to not be hurt by field force loss.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."