Default New bottling room/hotbox thoughts:

So we just bought a new place a few months ago and I am getting ready to setup a new bottling room. Thoughts are drums of honey will stay out of the room and I will have a hotbox just on the other side of the wall. In the past I have heated the drums of honey to uncrystalize using radiant hot water from the floor. We don't have a boiler at the new place but I would still like to use the floor radiant heat.

So I have been thinking about buying a 20 gallon hotwater heater and using that with temp set at 140 and just recirculate the water as opposed to buying a boiler. Has anyone used a standard hotwater heater for warming their honey?

Default Re: New bottling room/hotbox thoughts:

I thought about it, but when push came to shove, it was a lot less time to simply build a 4x8' cabinet, and heat it with an oil filled electric radiator. There is an always on fan in the cabinet, and a thermostat to turn the heatwr on and off. Works quire well.

Deknow
    The perils of benefactors; The blessings of parasites; Blindness blindness and sight -Joni Mitchell 'Shadows and Light'

So the old way I had it hooked up was using both radiant floor and a small electric milk house heater. I really liked the radiant floor heat as it uncrystalized the bottoms of the drums alot quicker than just with the small electric heater.

I dont mind spending the time to hook it up after work. The real PITA will be running 220 line from circuit panel to pouring room area for hotwater heater.

deknow your setup sounds like a good idea. How warm do you have to keep the box so that the honey won't granulate?
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

my extracting set up uses a 40 gallon water heater with a recirculating pump. the pump sits above the outlet and comes back in the bottom drain. there is a back flow preventer at the inlet, and lots of T's with valves for priming/draining/hooking up hoses for cleaning. it's pretty hillbilly but works.

I wondered about primimg the pump. Half thought about using the bottom of the hotwater heater as a psuedo auto primer for pump or possibly pumps. Do you get rid of 100% of the air in the hotwater tank?

What temp range did you set your 40 gallon tank at and how consistent does it keep that temp?

Hillbilly is the only way to be. AKA redneck engineering!

Idea is sound. You will need a hot water expansion tank and a blow valve for safety, though the valve is already on the tank, so you're good.

I didnt think about the hot water expansion tank. I can see that is a must have. They are cheap enough so no biggie there.

Welcome...

Beyond that, it's simple to set up. Just have an elevated fill and drain (bleeder) valve above the tank level. Open both and fill up the system. Once water is coming out of the bleeder valve, close it and the fill valve. You should be full of water and good to go. Just make sure the pump is rated for hot water usage.

I'd put a gauge on the circulation line, too, so you know how much pressure there is, with an extra blow valve just incase.. Worst case scenario and all that. I'm sure you've watched Mythbusters.

i do get rid of 100% of the air, but it's pretty easy. i leave the pressure valve on the water heater open until it's full, and then use the water pressure, not the pump, to flow through the rest of the system. i come into a T at the end of the system, one side goes to the tank drain (return) and the other to a garden hose bib. that lets me get the system full and free of air. i keep my honey "raw" so i set the water temp at 95 f. and the honey cools it down a little from that., in years past i ran it around 125 f. and it did fine. justin

Hey guys I appreciate the thoughts. I like the idea of the bleeder valve. I captured all circulator pumps I used in the last honey house so I have 2 tacos and 1 grundfos. I honestly think the pex fittings will give out before the system would cause catostrophic failure due to pressure buildup.

i don't have an expansion tank on my system, i assume the pressure blow off valve on the water heater would let me (or you) know if it was needed.

Having worked with both a "hot room" with floor and wall heat, and a tank with spaced SS pipes for inverted drums and an enclosed cabinet, the hot room was the best. Inverting a liquid drum of honey is alot riskier than a solid one, but I think the hot room was faster and easier on the honey.

I would check on the thermal efficiency of a small boiler versus a water heater. You may find that the small boiler will quickly pay for itself.

Crazy Roland

I considered a small boiler. I don't much care to punch an extra hole in my roof to vent out the boiler and dont much care to have the extra fuel cell around to fuel it. Thats why I was thinking of recirculating the electric hot water heater.

I have the walls prepped for white tine to go up now and put in the circuit that will fuel the hotbox temp control module and honey pump.

I will try and take some pics of it tonight. Fairly rudimentary but it should be effective enough.
    Last edited by BMAC; 08-12-2013 at 04:56 AM. Reason: added thought