Default New guy in Georgia

Not a beekeeper......yet. Looking to gather as much information as possible prior to starting. There is a lot to learn, starting with the vernacular - didn't know I needed to learn a whole new language.
    I expect I will be lurking for a while and may ask the occasional noob question to clarify information I gather. Thanks for having me.

Default Re: New guy in Georgia

welcome!

Welcome and enjoy your stay!
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/

Welcome! You have come to a great place for information.
    If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.
    http://photobucket.com/MCBees

I think that if you don't take too much honey from the bees and don't bother them too much they will pretty well take care of themselves. But, learn a lot so you can do a good job of taking care of them should somethings go wrong and do have at least two hives in case a hive becomes queenless. Later learn all about diseases and things to watch out for and how to give medication effectively shoud you have a serious problem. You will learn from the bees fast enough and with no big problems as long as you make sure your veil doesn't let bees in, use a smoker but lightly and move around cautiously. Some say if the bees do sting it is important to use smoke where they stung you to a degree that it covers the smell so well that other bees don't get excited and try to sting you in the same place. I am sure you will do just fine, especially if you develope friends with others who already have bees like a local group. Check out the local bee inspector who may give you lots of pointers too.

Welcome TNP!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Hello and welcome.

Information gathering is good....BUT....there also can be paralysis through analysis. Also, do yourself and your bees a favor and DO use other sources other than JUST this site in your research.

Welcome to Beesource!

> didn't know I needed to learn a whole new language.

You may find these glossary of terms useful:

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesterms.htm
    - and -
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...eping-Glossary

Underlined terms in the Beesource glossary link to photos.
    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

Get a good Bee Book, join the local Bee Keeping Club, and get a hive!
    Then get busy, if you want to get wet, you gotta jump in!

This site is like going to college with thousands of professors and critics!
    It's all good!
    "Some of it's Magic, and Some if it's Tragic!" Jimmy Buffet

Thanks to everyone for their welcoming responses.
    Samoadc - thanks for the tips - will be looking for local beeks next.
    Nature Coast - no doubt about analysis. The good thing is that one beekeeping source leads me to another which leads to another and so on. I consider this site, so far, to be an excellent jumping off point for information as well as a lead to other sources.
    Rader - Thx for the links. The terms are starting to fall into place pretty quickly actually.
    Bee Geek - My first purchase was Beekeeping for Dummies per many recommendations on this site. I am narrowing down my hive choices and will be purchasing as soon as I'm comfortable in knowing/thinking it is the right purchase for my needs (buy once, cry once). So far I'm thinking a couple of 8-frame medium hives to start with top, IPM bottom board, entrance reducer, stand etc. Being in the North Georgia mountains on 6 acres next to National Forest, I need to spend a good amount of time considering location of the hives as well as bear & critter proofing.

> Being in the North Georgia mountains on 6 acres next to National Forest, I need to spend a good amount of time considering location of the hives as well as bear & critter proofing.

IMO, find a spot that gets full sun, or as close as possible. If you only get partial sun, make it morning sun. And make the location close enough to AC power so that you can electrify your bear fence with a charger plugged into the power grid. From what I see, while solar powered chargers work initially, for a while, but they are higher cost upfront and will ultimately be a source of frustration and additional expense.
    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

You should go visit Pigeon Mountain Trading Company over in Lafayette. I bought my bee suit there. They have beekeeping supplies (and other assorted hardware and work clothes). Even if you don't buy anything, it's a neat place to visit.

I'm not associated with them, I just thought they had a neat store.

You should also check out Brushy Mountain, Kelley's, Mann Lake, and other bee supply companies. Depending on what you're looking at, one may have a lower price, some may supply nails while others do not, etc. Get the most bang for your buck. And my two favorite words are "free shipping".

(Actually, my two favorite words are Free Bees. But I figured that applies to everyone here! )

PS: FatBeeMan is around north Georgia somewhere. He has some great instructional videos on youtube. He also sells nucs and stuff, too, I believe.
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/