Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Loader options

9K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Broke-T 
#1 ·
This winter we will carry around 300 hives into winter. Half are on 4 way pallets. Next year I may want to move the palleted bees to soybeans for the summer. I have a tractor and frontend loader but it is bulky and not manuverable in tight locations. Used hummerbee or Swinger are rare in Southeast. That leaves me with Bobcat type loaders. I have heard the older models are better. What models would y'all recommend. Adding a mast down the road is an option.

Johnny

#4 ·
Yeah the ole 743 is a good one. Johnny, I would say pretty much any machine in that 15 to 1700 lb. lift rating range that you can get a good buy on will do just fine even without a "crazy wheel and skid steers are so versatile. I really like the New Hollands. I would just stay away from anything too heavy (2000 lb. + range) as they are a lot of unecessary weight to have to pull around.

#6 ·

Stick with the tractor.
Fabricate yourself a good 3-point rear forks.
You can go places and do things that nothing else will.
Bobcats are great for scraping out the loafing shed I must admit. :D
But before you lay down a lot of cash I would look at all of the options.
Besides, your tractor is payed for; right?

#9 ·
Can you dig holes, scrape out yards, push snow, etc. w/ a machine w/ a mast?

I have a 753 which cost me $10,000.00 to buy thru Ingersoll Rand Financing. 1,100 lb lift capacity. Usually enough. No problem loading a semi w/ it. Haul it around on a 10,000lb trailer no problem. Easier to get into and out of than newer heavier models.

#11 ·
Yeah, why not?
But then what? Are you going to load and unoad that truck by hand?
They have to get unloaded from that truck and moved around with SOMETHING, now don't they?
Is that something going to be your back?
Work hard, AND smart!
:)

#15 ·
i feel your response makes no sense
some folks may have bees at more locations than their home. so there for the tractor on the highway may not work out.
for beekeeping that thing is just a commodity
for hobby farming im sure it works great.
I feel that your response makes no sense.
Are you unaware that tractors are hauled from place to place on trailers?
Did you miss the part where Broke-T stated that he owned a tractor?
All he needs is a trailer; right?
If he purchaces a barn -scraper he will still need a trailer to haul it around; right?
I think that in the beekeeping world a barn-scraper is nothing more than a commodity.
Especially when you have 300 hives and already own a tractor.
For those that have poor business sence and need to "look like everyone else" I'm sure a barn-scraper works great.

#13 ·
Didn't someone haul there tractor loader to FL and back to MD or DC and lost it on 95 on the way back North? I sometimes think about leaving my Bobcat at home and renting one in SC for one day just to unload the semi. I did that one time when the Bobcat broke down. Just doesn't seem to work out economically for me.

#14 ·
about leaving my Bobcat at home and renting one in SC for one day just to unload the semi. I did that one time when the Bobcat broke down. Just doesn't seem to work out economically for me.

that sounds smart, actually it would make a lot of sense. you could have them drop the tractor off at one of your yards, with trailer, and have them pick it up after your done. Why not?

#19 ·
I use a Donkey Beekeeper truck-mounted loader and it works great. Lifts a full tote of syrup (3k lbs) and no trailer to pull. It's a single purpose machine, so no attachments. That's a trade off to consider. In my case, not having to drag a trailer through FL sand makes it an easy win. It's probably a bit faster to load a semi a with a Hummerbee or Swinger if you run several thousand. For me, slow and steady wins the race.

#20 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Yes the tractor is paid for but The lowboy I haul it with is the trailer I was planning to move the bees on so it would require another big trailer. A Hummerbee or Swinger could be pulled behind pickup with small trailer.

I have considered a Moffett. The poultry companies around here use them a lot and also the lumber yards. I wonder if the make a small version.

Johnny

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.