Thread: plants bee like

Default plants bee like

I went to a nursery/garden store/orchard today. They have lots of plants outside..gardens, etc. blossoms everywhere. They also have 1 beehive. The one plant that the honeybees heavily favored over every other plant was mountain mint....Pycnanthemum. It was incredible....a patch that was 10 ft by 10 ft must have had a 1000 bees on it.....I tried to buy some of this mountain mint and their was none for sale...ugh....Sooooooooooo, I went to the manager and said we have to work something out here....you guys need to thin out that mountain mint and I need to get some for my bees...Let's make a deal. She was hesitant but I persisted. I will pay you $10 for a 10 in pot of it. Sure enough she sent her assistant out with a shovel and I got my mountain mint. I was thrilled and she had her 10 dollars plus tax... Brown's Orchard in Loganville, Pa.

Mike Adams

Default Re: plants bee like

Somehow I rather doubt that would happen at a Lowes or Home Depot!
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

First thing I thought was "d**n your eyes"...of course out of jealousy . Nice job. My wife's got a green thumb and works for a plant broker. She couldn't get her hands on any this year either. My neighbor had some landscape work done and the landscaper planted it in there and just like what you saw, my bees were on their mountain mint. I told my wife it's time to just bite the bullet and buy a whole flat of it (which she can get). We've got a small garden that's gone to seed, weed seed that is, and I'm going to till it and just plant that mint in a big patch.
    License not replace eyes, ears, and brain.
    - Mr. Miyagi

thanks for the heads up, I'll be on mountain mint in the spring. Here, goldenrod and sumac are rocking for wild, planted buckwheat is doing incredibly well this year too. thanks for the wet summer

I planted the mountain mint on Sunday. I should have cut the plants in half when planting them because of the root loss when digging them up. I did not however. Watered them well. They perked right up. the flowers were just about spent/very little flower left.... but it is the only flowers in my garden that attracted my honey bees....I am going back to the nursery this weekend and getting some more...

Strange, my girls won't touch my mountain mint! I think I have Virginia mountain mint...

The problem w/common names. I didn't realize there was a family of "mountain mints". So it's not just one thing. I'll try to take a pic of my neighbors and post it so you can see what that one looks like. Maybe Mike can do the same.
    License not replace eyes, ears, and brain.
    - Mr. Miyagi

I tried to upload a photo of mountain mint but it would not let me..ugh..

Here is my mountain mint, lots of bumblebees and others, no honeybees!

> I tried to upload a photo of mountain mint but it would not let me..ugh.

If you don't want to figure out how to make the forum built-in photo feature work for you, open an account at a free photo host like Photobucket.com and link your Photobucket image to your post here.

Natureboy68's post #10 is an example of a photo linked from Photobucket.
    Graham

Thanks. Why do they have an insert icon if it does not work...

> Why do they have an insert icon if it does not work...

Well, the built-in forum photo feature does work. Here is that same photo uploaded to the forum (not linked) via the "Insert Image" icon on the toolbar. Like any tool, you need to learn how to use it properly.

natureboy.jpg
    (note you can click the image to see a larger version)

Some issues to consider in uploading photos here include the file size of the image, and settings in your account profile. Photobucket deals with those issues internally and unseen to the average user, so it may seem easier to just link to Photobucket.
    Graham

I noticed the same thing for short toothed mountain mint here in Wellsville, PA. I also see the bees on anise hyssop and slender mountain mint.

See link below for slender mountain mint:

http://www.wildflower.org/plants/res...?id_plant=PYTE

And clustered or short toothed mountain mint:

http://www.abnativeplants.com/index....il&plant_id=72

You should check out meadowood nursery in hummelstown

http://www.meadowoodnursery.com/

August again, and I was searching for comments on mountain mint.

Our variety looks like Virginia Mountain Mint, tho' technically the apiary is in WEST Va. It started blooming a couple of weeks back and we saw no interest, but last week the girls had decided it was THE flower to be working. The only thing we've seen that excited them more was Autumn Olive for a short time this spring. Usually, if we see bees foraging a plant, there are more bumbles than honeybees, even within a few hundred feet of the hives. But even a half mile out we're seeing our girls outnumber the bumbles by a large margin on the mountain mint.

We've got acres of it blooming in a meadow nearby, in just the sort of dense clusters they like.

looks lot like white bee balm- bergamot--bumble bees love It honey bees cant get deep enough. hummingbirds thrive on it!

https://www.google.com/search?q=berg...%3B2592%3B3872