Default Plastic....Black or White?

On the plastic foundation there are 2 types that I can find. Black and White. I have read that the black is used in the brood chamber for various reasons. Has anyone notice a significant difference between the 2 as far as hive health and growth is concerned?

Default Re: Plastic....Black or White?

I have not used the white, but it sure is easy to see eggs with a black background.
    Dan Hayden 4 Years. 9 hives. Tx Free. USDA Zone 5b.

I have both. The black is in the brood box, the eggs are easy to see; and they drew it quickly. The white is in my honey supers, the girls don't care for it; took a long time to draw.

I have tried to see eggs on a white frame very hard go with the bleack

Color doesn't matter. If the flow is on or they need space they will draw it out regardless of color. They tend to not like plastic frames but when you consider the amount of toxins in beeswax foundation and the ease of use with the plastic, I choose plastic. I have a small crock pot that I melt my own cappings in to paint onto the foundation. It really helps them get started on the frames.

I only use/sell and recommend black for both brood and honey as they draw it out fast during the honey flow. I do not like white as I have frames that took 4-6 years to get drawn out.
    Be careful with the black in the sun though because I had a frame of freshly drawn and capped honey/wax melt and run off of the foundation but it was 100+ deg that day. So now when I take frames out I lean them against hive on the shady side!
    Hugus Creek Honey Farm: St. Maries, ID / Lewiston, ID
    Like us on Facebook

I use mostly black and some white frames in brood and supers, as well I use wood with a mix of wax and plastic foundations. I prefer black but white is what came with my supers. White tends to go brittle over time and I will eventually have all black. I rub all frames with a bar of honey wax before use and the bees take to them like was foundation. No painting or dipping of wax needed IMHO
    Jack Moore ~ Sticky Bear Apiary
    Zone 7a ~ Elev: 4840ft. ~ https://www.facebook.com/StickyBearApiary

Quote Originally Posted by skosma View Post
    I have both. The black is in the brood box, the eggs are easy to see; and they drew it quickly. The white is in my honey supers, the girls don't care for it; took a long time to draw.
    I just have white, and compared to the other bees(granted they a duragild)they took forever to draw it out, almost three months for 2 deep boxes. the other did the same plus filled a medium super by that time.

I have never had a derth so I'm going by observation. Both from Brushy mountain. They were on the black since theywere installed on moms day.They took awhile to draw the black; they wouldn't draw the white. I tried sugar water spray, and rubbing more beeswax on it. I kinda gave up on it and bought drawn foundation from a beek near me. I also have some yellow foundation I got with a carni hive I just bought. The bees just love it (drawn in weeks not months). All my hives are on their 2nd honey super and 2 are refilling supers all with mixed yellow and white. Go figure; bees will do what they want. I'm just fumbling along.

I use the natural color that Mannlake sells. The black is nice for seeing eggs though! I find that there has to be a good honey flow on in order for them to draw it out. I have not notice a difference in regards to color though.