Default Rearing queens in pa.

If I wanted to sell queens one day in PA. what are the laws?
    Thank you.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 31 hives==== T{OAV}

Default Re: Rearing queens in pa.

I'd call your local inspector and find out. http://www.pastatebeekeepers.org/map.htm#inspector

Most of the time it just involves inspection to make sure you are disease free and AHB free.

I was wondering the same thing, not hundreds just a couple dozen. Is there even a market, how do you know they will perform like they do in your own hives for a few customer? Sorry for the questions.

I'd suggest that you sell over-wintered nucleus colonies instead of queens. You'll make more money and you know that the queen is accepted. You can also see her brood pattern. The market is incredible right now. Go to your post office to ask how to ship bees. Talk to a local breeder.

I need lots of information here, I have never seen NUC's being shipped in the mail, has something changed and the PO is now accepting NUC's. The PO does accept package bees in the spring.

2 or 3 years ago i sent a few 5 frame nuc in wax coated nuc boxes shipping is high plus a special handling fee of $7 or 8 dollars over shipping
    Also only standred truck ground no air shipmentsso you don't want to ship real far zone 3 or 4

Usually the nuc customers are local and drive to pick them up. Some beekeepers will drive quite a distance to get GOOD bees from a reputable breeder. You might advise new beekeepers to bring their bee suits, gloves, veil etc. We are often amused to see folks drive up in a Cabriolet or a Corvette wearing tennis fashions to pick up bees (Bees get tied on top of inappropriate vehicles, I keep Tyvek suits for tennis beekeepers.)

To ship nucs, make the setup such that the nuc is mounted to a plywood board larger than the floor, framed in with 1" x 2"'s, and covered with #8 hardware cloth. If the top cage is made separate, 4 screws holding the assembly together, it is easy to remove the top from the plywood bottom board. I leave a brace of ply over the top for a shipper envelope package, and rope handles. Be sure your prices reflect all your costs - the discerning customer knows this is a better deal and should be very willing to pay for a nice, "new" (overwintered) nuc box to go along with his bees (don't brand it).

With a "breather" entrance blocker, they are double safe inside the nuc, which is fed super clean syrup and a 1/2 patty before shipping. I don't inspect them the week before shipping so the propolis helps hold the frames from moving around during transit. I let them pick their nuc, guarantee they are queenright (I'll send a replacement queen), but I do not guarantee survival of the colony off the property The customer must be willing to pay guaranteed postage if they wish to return dead bees.
    Last edited by kilocharlie; 08-14-2013 at 02:30 PM.

I drove 400 miles to get my northern nucs and glad I did much better then package bees . Plus I never had to buy bees again.
    Say hello to the bad guy!
    year five==== 31 hives==== T{OAV}