Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Product Pictures

What would be a good background and such for pictures of my jars of honey and other hive products? I have a picture of all the different sizes by an old smoker and pictures of them against a white back round. Any other ideas? Thanks!

Default Re: Product Pictures

Grassy field behind them

Quote Originally Posted by BigGun View Post
    Grassy field behind them
    So use cement blocks to raise the jars up?

Quote Originally Posted by newbee99 View Post
    So use cement blocks to raise the jars up?
    I think a small table or stool would be better.

Here's a couple I was experimenting with. Not perfect. This isn't my strong skill, but I think it helps to having the jars at different levels, and having some other stuff in the picture, but making sure that the honey is the focus and what draws your attention. I'm very open to constructive criticism on these.

Go to something like google images, browse and see what appeals to you and what appeals to friends and family that buy product but aren't involved in producing it.
    Then let the list know the answers

The grey boards are nice but what appears to scrunched up white paper not so much....we still have to design labels as are just starting out.

Berkshire.....where did you get the jars with the comb in it?

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelShantz View Post
    Nice pics, but seems like the honey is not prominently displayed. The first photo my eye was immediately drawn to the fruit bowl. The second, the flowers.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Very nice. I would have moved the one jar on the left out from behind the jar w/out a label on it. That would have balanced the photo more I think. The placement and amount of honey displayed compared to the rest of the item in the photo kept focus on the honey. It's obvious what is being "sold" in the top photo. I liked it.
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 10-21-2013 at 07:41 AM. Reason: U no why
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Blurry background is one less thing to look at.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ia6t1w6xgq...0on%20pump.jpg
    Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?

Tim, I cut some comb honey that I produced and put a chunk in the jar. Good points, Mark. If I had swapped the two jars on the left, the lighter color of thejar with chunk honey would have been centered between the two darker ones

My wife and I were in a photo in National Geographic's Traveler Magazine. Just the two of us in 18th century clothing dancing by ourselves in the Governor's Palace Ball Room at Colonial Williamsburg,VA. The photographer took 10 rolls of film from which they picked one photo.

Babe Ruth was not only the Home Run King, he was the strike out king too. Take lots of photos and different configurations. Not that I have. Just thinking out loud.

You happen to remember the Year and the Month..... or either for that matter. Must have been during your "Southern Phase".... I have a lifetime collection of NG - as many do - so guess I will go look.... Carlene will be thrilled....
    “Don’t tell me how educated you are, tell me how much you have travelled.” - The Quran

Black backgrounds really set off the color of the honey also.
    "Of all God's creatures, only the honeybee improves its environment and preys on no other species."--Haydon Brown

Okay this is not Honey. Btu it is a photo of a product I make and it is a photo that was taken and edited by me. It used to be on my web site along with about 700 others.
    167023_1592829813087_6784736_n.jpg

I hope that shows up. I hate it when a forum does not make a preview of your attachments.

Now there is a ton of knowledge that goes into making a photo like that. it is actually 6 to 7 images laid over each other. the background is actually completely separate form the original photo of the pen. the lettering is obviously added later etc. but what is needed to even get that photo of the pen is extreme.

So I could talk about lighting, diffusion, composition, exposure, color saturation, white balance, depth of field, shutter speed and f stops, grey scale cards and much much more. or I can just tell you a way to set up your product and reliable get a good picture. I will assume that most of you could care less about anything on that list and woudl prefer to just get a good photo.

1. find a camera with a good zoom capability that will mount to a tripod.
    2. get a tripod to mount the camera on. A little creativity and you can make some things work as a tripod.
    3. pick a day that is cloudy and shoot your picture outdoors. this removes any concern about lighting except white balance.
    4. figure out how to set the white balance of your camera and make sure it is on outdoor or sunlight.
    5. Set your product and accessories up any way you want with any background you like. set eh camera on the tripod 20 feet or more from the product, further is better. zoom in to fill the frame as much as possible. Make sure you focus is perfect even a tiny bit off will matter. Snap the photo.

Now I will not try to tell you the 101 things you just did to make a better photo. go home load it on your computer and decide for yourself if you like it better. why you like it better will never matter.

Again the further you zoom the more perfect your focus must bee. But the further you zoom the more your product will pop out of the final picture as well. It will do something like what you see in this photo. Notice although there is stuff in front of her and stuff behind her. she stands out in the photo. This is also one of my photos and the effect was no accident.
    44326_1422053663790_239872_n.jpg
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Daniel Y, thank you for the pointers!

Here is a picture of mine.
    DSCF3519.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by hpm08161947 View Post
    You happen to remember the Year and the Month..... or either for that matter. Must have been during your "Southern Phase".... I have a lifetime collection of NG - as many do - so guess I will go look.... Carlene will be thrilled....
    Not Nat Geo, but Nat Geo's Traveler Magazine. 1984 I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Y View Post
    Again the further you zoom the more perfect your focus must bee. But the further you zoom the more your product will pop out of the final picture as well. It will do something like what you see in this photo. Notice although there is stuff in front of her and stuff behind her. she stands out in the photo. This is also one of my photos and the effect was no accident.
    44326_1422053663790_239872_n.jpg
    Self portrait?
    Last edited by Barry; 10-19-2013 at 01:47 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast