Default Buck fever marking Q.

Got paint on my hands and grabbed her anyway!
    I was splitting up my queen castles and seeing if they were laying. I got 3 for 3 laying and was thinking of the next step. Started down the row of single deeps, topping off feed and checking for QR when I saw the big girl. Grabbed my clip (first time using that but I had gloves on) and got her. Went back got my paint and out of nowhere I started to shake, I never used the clip before. I shook the bees out of the clip and dropped her a couple of times. She was so heavy she fell like a rock. I was concerned more about crushing her than her getting away. I dipped my stem in the paint, dabbed it off on my finger (mistake). And she got away and went into the paint. I picked her up again and and with a firm hand actually missed! Un believable.
    I grabbed a cup of coffee and just went out to do some quick checks, pretty soon I was where I shouldn’t be, doing what I should not be doing without planning or reason. All I can say is crap, crap crap. I would say at least I know better but I made (and posted) about the same mistake about 2 years ago!
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

Default Re: Buck fever marking Q.

Those mistakes are suppose to be the best Teachers

I suspect most of us have buck fever in that situation, so don't read too much into it. I tried to pick up a queen this week and was unable to do it -I guess I should practice on some drones again.

I don't feel much in my hands and fingers. That makes it hard to handle any bee. So, I went to a queen marking tube and sometimes use a queen muff as well.
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

I use a queen catcher pipe. It really works well. I catch her in the pipe let her walk up the stem and out the little stem hole into a queen marking tube. Slide the plunger in and push her up against the open mesh top, mark her and wait about 30 seconds for the paint to dry and then pull the plunger out and let the queen walk out on a frame, and down into the hive. It works well and doesn't hurt the queen. I've marked over 30 queens this way this year without hurting any of them.

First queen I ever grabbed by hand to try and put in a cage twisted on me just as she was going in and I panicked and jammed her in anyway. I turned her into the rainman as she just sat there with her head cocked off to one side. I put her back to see if she would recover but the hive replaced her.
    Now I use a queen muff and a queen clip, I open up the clip and let the queen walk into the cage.

I took my clip and threw it into the trash. Best way to smash a queen that I know of. IMHO. Use your fingers and practice. If you drop them on the ground set a frame of brood next to her and she will climb up through the grass/weeds onto the frame of brood and then put her back and try again next time.

Queen marking pens are the way to go. I use the paint pens from the craft section at wal-mart and they cost around 2 bucks each. I carry 3 pens with me at all times. This years color, last years color and a brown or black one to write on the lids. Paint lasts for years. I smashed a white dotted queen last week. Keep practicing on those drones and if you can use your fingers and heave those queen smashing clips over your shoulder into the brush. hehe

A nice video by Michael Palmer on you tube....it has helped me very much...I use a marking rather than testors paint most of the time...search Michael palmer queen marking.....

Giorgio