Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Time Article

Default Re: Time Article

Simply because someone expresses an opinion different from your own doesn’t make them ignorant or a shill. To accuse them of such is not a sorry reflection on the target but is an unflattering indication of the source's character.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

removed by poster
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Let's keep this in the context of the TIME article, shall we?

So, while Randy is quoted as saying, "I'm not thoroughly convinced this is a major issue."

You simply need to google Randy, find his blog, and voila!

He's written exhaustively on the impact of insectidicides on beekeeping.

Of course he KNOWS that it's a major issue.

I'm not the one that's been lumped in with pesticide manufacturers and quoted as saying that it isn't a major issue.

Especially after having read through over a dozen previous paragraphs in the article.

I can see why someone would characterize Randy as "a lying shill" the way he's being quoted in that paragraph.

I don't agree with 'ignorant alarmist'. (Although I agree with useless.)

Randy isn't ignorant or an alarmist. I would say the opposite.

But, you will have to read the entire article to understand how Bryan Walsh skillfully popped Randy's balloon.

Nicely done.

Quote Originally Posted by WLC View Post
    I don't agree with 'ignorant alarmist'. (Although I agree with useless.)
    Randy isn't ignorant or an alarmist. I would say the opposite..
    "ignorant alarmist" was mild.
    Now you are contradicting yourself.

And have added yet another insult to your list, this time calling him "useless".

Let's keep this in the context of the TIME article, shall we?

You simply need to google Randy, find his blog, and voila!
    Well which? Keep it with the TIME article, or go to google? It's only minor, but your arguments are all over the place, contradictory, and confusing.

Of course he KNOWS that it's a major issue.
    How do you know what he KNOWS? Sounds like wild speculation on your part, to me.

End of day WLC you have your opinion, and even though it is contradictory and based on speculation, I am quite aware nothing I say will ever change your opinion. I am not actually seeking to change your opinion, it is set.

My issue was more with the abuse and the lies, which applies not only to you but also the opening post.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 08-10-2013 at 06:06 AM.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

if more people would set the bar a little higher (as randy has) on what it takes to be 'thoroughly convinced' we might stand a chance at getting to the truth about what's causing colonies to collapse.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

WLC, have you taken things up w/ Randy. He told me to tell you to e-mail him. He'd be glad to communicate directly w/ you.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

You don't have the TIME article in front of you, do you Oldtimer? I do.

Randy does indeed look bad.

My own reaction to the 'not thoroughly convinced' quote is too colorful too print. I think that some folks would express the opinion 'lying shill' at that point in the article because that's how the author set Randy up.

Perhaps Sol applied 'ignorant' for this quote?

If the 'feedlot' quote is where Sol applied alarmist, I might say that it's already happening.

I'm not going to back down on how the average TIME reader will view Randy's p.30 quote because that's how the article was written.

"My issue was more with the abuse and the lies, which applies not only to you but also the opening post."

I'm not lying, nor am I being abusive. Randy got himself into this one.

I do agree with the OP's sentiment however.

I will say that I felt genuine sorrow for Jim Doan's predicament.

I will say that I felt genuine sorrow for Jim Doan's predicament.
    That's nice. Did you do anything for him after feeling sorry for him? Make any suggestions? Try to help him figure out what happened?

Randy is available for discussion. You and Solomon should contact him and report back to us what your encounter was like. I don't see what good you do by telling us how you feel about something Randy supposedly said to a Time Reporter.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    Well said.

Yet it is suggested there is a bee apocalypse looming because 1 1/2 million strong healthy hives were not delivered to the almond growers last year and put into these so called "feedlot" conditions as if whatever the almond growers demand is the new standard for bee health in our country. On this very thread are a couple of good beekeepers stating they would prefer not to send their bees, and they are hardly the only ones. If anyone has a better idea of how to prep a few thousand thousand semi load lots of hives that have been shipped 1,000+ miles to get them large at a time of year when most northern hives are still in winter wraps the industry would love to hear about it.
    Grow Almonds 'Naturally"
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Mark:

Do you have Time in front of you? If not, then it might be hard for you to understand "the setup".

Randy was setup to look like a pesticide industry spokesman who doesn't think that they're a major issue.

This was after paragraphs on the dangers of neonics to bees.

Really.

I'm reflecting on Sol's brief take on how Randy looked in the TIME article.

I think that Sol's comments weren't an accurate reflection on how badly Randy came off.

That's it.

As I keep saying, I am not seeking to change your opinion on the matter, as your opinion is set in stone. I also believe that different opinions are healthy for society generally, even though I may not agree with them.

As stated my issue was with the abuse and the lies. However you say you have not been abusive and you have not lied. Nobody else would agree, but if that's what you think, well, I probably cannot alter your values.

An undercurrent of seeming hatred also appears to be coming through, as in your way over the top reaction to "not thoroughly convinced".
    I'm not thoroughly convinced either, my bar is a little higher than just run with the first theory on something I hear. Does that mean I too should be subject to name calling, have my words twisted, and be lied about?

Randy has offered to dialogue with you directly, which is certainly more generous than I would have been were I him.
    I would suggest you accept the offer, talking in person might get you better acquainted with the man, rather than the magazine article.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Mark:

Do you have Time in front of you? If not, then it might be hard for you to understand "the setup".
    No, I do not. I am really tired of all of this. I'm just going to keep my bees as best I can and to heck w/ authors of articles that want to make money off of my industry. All of the attention has been good for local honey sales, but I'm tired of people feeling sorry for me and my bees when they know nothing about me, my experience and my bees experiences.

We have a new "interim" Minister at our Church. After introducing myself he asked me what I do for a living. (I had one of my beesource t-shirts on at the time) "Oh, you must be dealing w/ that CCD thing. How's that going for you?" We didn't have time for the in depth conversation necassary so I said, "Just fine thank you."

Maybe we will have time for a more complete answer sometime.

You don't have TIME or you would agree with me. I didn't make Randy look like a spokesman. I didn't put that quote right after 100's of words on the impact of neonics.

Take it up with Bryan Walsh.

It's one of the perils of speaking to journalists.

T'is Randy's problem.

Not Sol's, not mine.

Like it or not, Randy has and CONTINUES to do more for beekeeping and the industry as a whole, than ALL of us clowns combined...... from me, to Solomon, and definatly way past WLC.......
    hey may have got tweaked by a reporter... but the reporter did go to a source, which was Randy, not us speculators...

Oldtimer:

You have to see it in the context of the whole article to understand why folks can say that Randy looks like a shill.
    So does this make Randy a shill or mean that folks have poor vision?
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

You don't have TIME or you would agree with me. I didn't make Randy look like a spokesman. I didn't put that quote right after 100's of words on the impact of neonics.

Take it up with Bryan Walsh.

It's one of the perils of speaking to journalists.

T'is Randy's problem.

Not Sol's, not mine.
    Okay. I'll take your word for it. You stated the facts as you see them. No need for further discussion as far as I can tell. Notice that Solomon is not beating this dead horse? Follow his example thank you.

Or maybe he is busy weeding his garden.

Time for breakfast.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Y View Post
    So does this make Randy a shill or mean that folks have poor vision?
    It means he cannot find anything to quote that will back his position.

And, remember when I asked for a reference to one of the claimed lies, he couldn't provide one, instead giving a changed version of what Randy said, no reference of course when the statement doesn't exist.

What's your problem Oldtimer?

Since you obviously don't have the TIME article...

"Arguments*against*neonic*seed*treatments* Actual*facts*
    The*neonicotinoids*have*been*“linked”*to*increased * colony*mortality.*
    In*actuality,*such*a*“link”*is*merely*an*urban*leg end,* and*has*never*been*demonstrated*or*confirmed*in* any*study.*
    On*the*other*hand,*the*residues*of*other*classes*o f* pesticides*are*more*suspect*for*causing*increased* brood*or*adult*bee*mortality*[24]."

From "What happened to the bees this spring,2013".

This is a lie: "In actuality, such a “link” is merely an urban legend, and has never been demonstrated or confirmed in any study."

http://www.ehrenfelds.net/bees/bees.pdf

That's the proof you wanted?

You just had to ask for proof that Randy lied?

Now that you've seen it for yourself...

I think there is over thinking here. I don't read anything in Randy's comments that are not in keeping with what is being learned via scientific research into the causes of CCD. Take for example the van Englesdorp (however his name is spelled!!) study into pollen brought back to the hive by bees placed for commercial pollination on a variety of crops - As many as 21 ag chemicals (he was looking for pesticides & fungicides) were found in the pollen, and most of the pollen was from non target plants. If bee collected pollen is part of the problems making bees sick, feeding pollen sub (and then we are feed lot beekeeping) might make sense. Of course cleaning up the environment so that honey bees and native pollinators collect ag-chem free pollen ought to be the first priority, but it will require massive changes in farming practices in the US - in other words I don't see it happening anytime soon and would welcome a work around.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast