Default Upper entrance covers and tar paper wrapping

I am using Michael Bush style upper entrance covers. I will be wrapping my hives with tar paper this winter. My covers have a 1" overhang at the front to help keep rain out. I noticed Michael Bush's covers are flush all four sides.

- Is the overhang not needed?

- Will the overhang interfere with winter wrapping or encourage the tar paper to tear?

- etc...?

Grid

Default Re: Upper entrance covers and tar paper wrapping

Why don't you just message Bush and ask him?
    "Tradition becomes our security, and when the mind is secure it is in decay".....Krishnamurti

I could, but then nobody else would see the question or the answer(s).

>I am using Michael Bush style upper entrance covers. I will be wrapping my hives with tar paper this winter. My covers have a 1" overhang at the front to help keep rain out. I noticed Michael Bush's covers are flush all four sides.

Yes, mine are flush. I do not like overhangs. I believe they catch the wind and cause more rain to blow in. If they were 12" maybe they would make a difference on the rain, but then they would blow off even worse.

>- Is the overhang not needed?

As is often the case, it accomplishes the opposite of what you hope... not it's not needed at all and is counterproductive.

>- Will the overhang interfere with winter wrapping or encourage the tar paper to tear?

I don't wrap. But then you have to have a way for them to fly so perhaps you would have to cut it there anyway.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beeswinter.htm#Insulation
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beeslazy.htm#stopwrapping
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

We put a 4-5" flap, stapled on both sides so that the middle sticks out 3/4", over our upper ventilation hole (opening profile of tarpaper cover forms a rectangle if looking at the opening from the top or bottom//think of a cardboard box with the flaps stapled to the side, ends cut out). Keeps the wind out & is long enough that the rain/snow doesn't clog it.

Thank you both. I appreciate the input.

Grid