Default Chemical treatment

I think this is my fifth year at bees but I still consider myself a newbee because I've only have had two hives so far to make it through the winter. I haven't used any chemicals as of yet but that's about to change. I've purchased Apistan and then MAQS thinking that might be less harmful then the Apistan. I also bought some Fumigilan B. My question is can you treat for mites and nosema at the same time?

Default Re: Chemical treatment

Welcome Jeff!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

Welcome Jeff. As a fifth year beekeeper you are already more experienced than many of "experts" here on Beesource. . The short answer is yes, there is nothing mutually exclusive about the products that treat for nosema and varroa. The more in depth answer is to first ascertain that you have a problem and then to follow the label instructions closely. MAQS can be a pretty harsh jolt to a hive when the temps are high. Nosema can be a tough diagnosis without some microscopic testing.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Thanks Jim; When I installed my Italians this spring they've had the tell tale signs of nosema...tan blotches all over the hive and my suit. The experienced beekeepers said not to worry that it was just stress from shipping.

They may be right. Bees that are confined for more than a couple of days need to get their "business done". I wouldn't take that as a sure sign of Nosema. I might suggest checking with your local bee inspector as to the rate of nosema being found in the area.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

the symptoms of nosema ceranae do not include dysentery. That is a symptom of nosema apis, which is being replaced in most hives by ceranae. I agree with Jim that microscopic inspection is warranted if you suspect nosema before treating. Fumigilan B is a nasty antibiotic which is banned in Europe. There are also studies that indicate it is not curative for nosema.

...and the latest research is that CERANAE is far more prevalent than Apis.

[ I have been speaking to a research scientist who has be working in a government funded research centre who has advised that they are looking at the correlation of GMC (genetically modified crops ) to bee mites and their increase potency to killing Bee's.

QUOTE=indianajeff;982886]I think this is my fifth year at bees but I still consider myself a newbee because I've only have had two hives so far to make it through the winter. I haven't used any chemicals as of yet but that's about to change. I've purchased Apistan and then MAQS thinking that might be less harmful then the Apistan. I also bought some Fumigilan B. My question is can you treat for mites and nosema at the same time?[/QUOTE]

Have you heard of any one mentioning this

Quote Originally Posted by Zoo View Post
    [ I have been speaking to a research scientist who has be working in a government funded research centre who has advised that they are looking at the correlation of GMC (genetically modified crops ) to bee mites and their increase potency to killing Bee's.

QUOTE=indianajeff;982886]I think this is my fifth year at bees but I still consider myself a newbee because I've only have had two hives so far to make it through the winter. I haven't used any chemicals as of yet but that's about to change. I've purchased Apistan and then MAQS thinking that might be less harmful then the Apistan. I also bought some Fumigilan B. My question is can you treat for mites and nosema at the same time?
    [/QUOTE]

I have been speaking to a research scientist who has be working in a government funded research centre who has advised that they are looking at the correlation of GMC (genetically modified crops ) to bee mites and their increase potency to killing Bee's.

Quote Originally Posted by indianajeff View Post
    Thanks Jim; When I installed my Italians this spring they've had the tell tale signs of nosema...tan blotches all over the hive and my suit. The experienced beekeepers said not to worry that it was just stress from shipping.

Have you heard anyone mentioning this before as it seems that since the proliferation of gmc mites have engulfed the bee population with deadly effect