Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Default Re: Products like Mann Lake Ultra bee.

Keith, should pollen sub be based off of pollen or beebread? I always thought bee bread should be 2% fat
    Last edited by RAK; 08-19-2013 at 09:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by max2 View Post
    Thanks RAK. The Almonds!!

But does everybody need to have strong hives in Feb? I assume not everybody goes to the Almonds.
    From the distance of Australia....I fully understand that things have changed but I just wonder what the outcome will be? Feedlot in cattle, broiler lots for chickens turned farmers into factory workers. Will the same happen to Apiarists in parts of the US?
    Where are we going?

I would ask myself. is it better to let the bees falter and then have to build them back up. Or to keep them strong and healthy.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Jarrett View Post
    Mrch, that's the data which is good, but sometimes it seems this thread they only want pics.
    And so, where are they. You say that like it's a bad thing. Cherry pick all you want. What I want to see is a photo that is an example of what you consider well fed larva. I really don't care about your entire apiary. It is not your apiary I am concerned with. I will then take your image of a cherry picked hand full of cells that you consider good and look at my Apiary. see it is my apiary and how it compares that I am concerned with.

Now if you are incapable of deciphering that fact from the early conversations of this thread. why should I find you reliable when it comes to deciphering information about nutrition. You simply warp things to your purpose. I cannot fathom what is difficult to understand about "Show us a picture of what you consider better". I don't really care what you think of pictures. it is what I think of pictures that causes me to want to see one. I don't really care how you think I will utilize the information I glean from such a photo. Obviously you don't find importance in a photo, I do. Your evaluation of how such information will be used is completely wrong by the way. You see it was asked that you sow a photo of a good frame of cells. I assume you will cherry pick your subject. I would assume you would cherry pick the very best example of well provisioned cells just for this very purpose. It is what you where asked for. Your example of good feeding. why would you then go take a picture of average? Don't you get the request?
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Daniel Y,
    Are you requesting a photo to increase your beekeeping knowledge, even if it is simply to see another method or theory which you may never adopt, or are you in rut ?
    I have seen photos with more jelly than I have. I may not agree on how to increase my jelly, I may agree. Nothing to get excited about.
    4 yrs, Peak 14, back to zip, T lite; godfather to brother's 3.

Daniel Y's comment about photos is in reference to a series of posts that started with post #18 earlier in this thread. You may find it useful to go back and read some earlier posts.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

I also would still like to see a side by side photo comparison of Lauri's "DRY" frame of larva with Keith's "HEALTHY" larva.

Read them the first time. More about the head butting than beekeeping to me.
    I did not see Lauri's photo's as dry myself. I have seen photos with more jelly. Pollen sub is one theory for improvement. Consider the theory or not. It is not a gauntlet.
    Knock down, dragged on battle about he said, she said, I got you now, is for reality TV.

Daniel,

For post # 15, I went back and looked at the original pictures and comments on the “dry” larvae. I don’t have a picture to post for comparison, but agree the brood looks dry. The picture appears to be a nice freshly drawn comb with various aged larvae, but look closely at the larvae and the lack of glistening jelly surrounding them. Look at some of the younger larvae that do not fill the cells yet and how they are slumped to one side or the other, usually the bottom edge. The brood is not all bad, just some good subtle observations. Sometimes when the cluster expands too quickly, there is more brood than the amount of bees can really care for optimally. I assume that is the case here, as there is nice white wax and it looks like some syrup or nectar in the corners.

Joe
    Breeder Queens & Honey Bee Nutritional Supplements
    www.latshawapiaries.com

Joe, Is it a case of too much success too fast? I can see where queen rearing would have more impact than workers. The argument wether 300 short lived bees are better or worst than 100 long lived bees?

Saltybee,

It could be, but I assume the bees know what they are doing, or at least I hope so. I tend to see it with young splits when the weather is warmer and the bees can really stretch out that brood nest. When I worked with Africanized bees in Arizona, I commonly saw this in small swarms. Temps were generally warmer and they would push the brood nest to the limits.

Joe
    Breeder Queens & Honey Bee Nutritional Supplements
    www.latshawapiaries.com

I have been stealing brood to make nucs from the same hive which I graft from. I think I have been making it much harder for myself. Pushing too hard. Feeding and stealing more from the result. Need to stop that.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltybee View Post
    Joe, Is it a case of too much success too fast? I can see where queen rearing would have more impact than workers. The argument wether 300 short lived bees are better or worst than 100 long lived bees?
    The more bees the more brood can be raised which results in an increase of population which results in more nucs more honey more money.... Strong hives easily raise more brood than the bees they have. All that short lived and long lived theory doesn't even make sense and most nubs buy into it.

If your worried about long/short lived bees then be worried about those mites draining out your winter bees.
    Last edited by RAK; 08-19-2013 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JSL View Post
    but agree the brood looks dry. The picture appears to be a nice freshly drawn comb with various aged larvae, but look closely at the larvae and the lack of glistening jelly surrounding them. Look at some of the younger larvae that do not fill the cells yet and how they are slumped to one side or the other, usually the bottom edge. Joe
    Becareful, Becareful here Joe...... lol I got hammered for saying the same thing. I know you arent saying this to offend anyone your just speaking the truth as you see it, like I was. It's not always easy to speak the truth when you know it's not going to be popular thing to say. But I have great respect for those that do.

P.S. I will save you a spot underneath the bus.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Becareful, Becareful here Joe...... lol I got hammered for saying the same thing.
    Keith, you got asked for more information on your analysis of Lauri's photo, and asked to post a similar picture for comparison/discussion purposes.

It was after that, when you made vague references to Youtube videos and offered no comparison photos, and did not explain your "dry" comment in better detail, that you got "hammered" as you so eloquently put it.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    Keith, you got asked for more information on your analysis of Lauri's photo, and asked to post a similar picture for comparison/discussion purposes.
    RS, do you have any Ideal who you are talking too .... Do you think I can just go out my back yard and snap a picture , Do you understand that it's sub time for me and I have semi's back up for days, Not to mention thousand's of hives in muti-states do you understand that my day starts at 3:00 am SEVEN days a week right now. NO, by your remarks you have made I didn't think so. Ask around this fourm many know me well.... you EVER plan on walking in my shoes you best eat your Wheaties!

Keith, apparently you are not so busy that you still have time to read Beesource, make a critical remark about a member's post and then not explain your remark when asked.

You can post anything you like (within forum rules), but when you make controversial statements and then don't back them up, you shouldn't be surprised that some forum members question your motives. Whether you are "too busy" or not isn't the point.

I have not bought any sub from your competitors, and may not ever. I have no axe to grind. But as I said earlier, when you adopt an aggressive stance like you seem to do regularly, you really shouldn't be surprised when you get pushback. I can't believe I am the first person to suggest this to you.
    Graham

I've got a few hives in the back yard I can snap a photo of and the rest are all in this state, problem is I don't have any Nutra-Bee. If I it and had enough to really pile it on, I'd post some photos after a couple feedings. It probably wouldn't work that well here, our bees don't have all the down time Keith's bees do.

Keith, apparently you are not so busy that you still have time to read Beesource, make a critical remark about a member's post and then not explain your remark when asked..
    RS, you just can't handel the TRUTH! reading beesource on a lap top and taking a pics from hives that are 400 miles away are two different things. Make "critical remarks" sorry again, it's the TRUTH. explain.... I did, dry. Remember Lauri asked me to chime in. Becareful what you ask for from Keith.... you may just get the hard cold TRUTH.

> Becareful what you ask for from Keith.... you may just get the hard cold TRUTH.

So when you first made that "bone head" remark, was that the truth? Or was it when you later suggested that you didn't really mean it?

Allow me to suggest that you might get less flack if you write a reply to a post you disagree with, then let it sit a while before you actually push the "Post" button. Just a thought.
    Graham

It was after that, when you made vague references to Youtube videos and offered no comparison photos, and did not explain your "dry" comment in better detail, that you got "hammered" as you so eloquently put it.
    Actually Keith stated that

RS, I'm not feeding yet so I don't have a close pics of brood to show you, I could only show the results of sub feeding, the pics I took were in Jan-Feb that the true results of fall-winter feeding.
    RS is that answer not clear enough?? You obviously do not know what commercial beekeeping is and how hard it is to take a pic when every minute is worth lots.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast