Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Products like Mann Lake Ultra bee.

86K views 235 replies 43 participants last post by  beesohappy 
#1 ·
Has anyone had first hand experience with this type of product as to whether or not it could or would stimulate brood rearing at this time of year? Say this product and combination of sugar ayrup @ 1:1 ratio.

#179 ·
Lauri,

I realize there is a lot of information in this thread. It can be difficult to cover the full range between new beekeeper and the established commercial beekeeper, but there really is a lot of good info here.

Saltybee,
I find the quote in your signature line “I like people who agree with me, I learn from people who disagree” to be a little ironic. I like Keith and although we may disagree, I learn something when we interact.

Joe

#180 ·
Thanks Joe,
Good to hear. I truely have a hard time telling the difference between what seems to be banter between you two and the next post which seems anything but.

Tag line; I learn from disagreement, not so much from disagreeable.

#184 ·
Daniel Y,
Are you requesting a photo to increase your beekeeping knowledge, even if it is simply to see another method or theory which you may never adopt, or are you in rut ?
I have seen photos with more jelly than I have. I may not agree on how to increase my jelly, I may agree. Nothing to get excited about.

#187 ·
Read them the first time. More about the head butting than beekeeping to me.
I did not see Lauri's photo's as dry myself. I have seen photos with more jelly. Pollen sub is one theory for improvement. Consider the theory or not. It is not a gauntlet.
Knock down, dragged on battle about he said, she said, I got you now, is for reality TV.

#188 ·
Daniel,

For post # 15, I went back and looked at the original pictures and comments on the “dry” larvae. I don’t have a picture to post for comparison, but agree the brood looks dry. The picture appears to be a nice freshly drawn comb with various aged larvae, but look closely at the larvae and the lack of glistening jelly surrounding them. Look at some of the younger larvae that do not fill the cells yet and how they are slumped to one side or the other, usually the bottom edge. The brood is not all bad, just some good subtle observations. Sometimes when the cluster expands too quickly, there is more brood than the amount of bees can really care for optimally. I assume that is the case here, as there is nice white wax and it looks like some syrup or nectar in the corners.

Joe

#193 ·
but agree the brood looks dry. The picture appears to be a nice freshly drawn comb with various aged larvae, but look closely at the larvae and the lack of glistening jelly surrounding them. Look at some of the younger larvae that do not fill the cells yet and how they are slumped to one side or the other, usually the bottom edge. Joe
Becareful, Becareful here Joe...... lol I got hammered for saying the same thing. I know you arent saying this to offend anyone your just speaking the truth as you see it, like I was. It's not always easy to speak the truth when you know it's not going to be popular thing to say. But I have great respect for those that do.

P.S. I will save you a spot underneath the bus. :)

#192 · (Edited)
The more bees the more brood can be raised which results in an increase of population which results in more nucs more honey more money.... Strong hives easily raise more brood than the bees they have. All that short lived and long lived theory doesn't even make sense and most nubs buy into it.

If your worried about long/short lived bees then be worried about those mites draining out your winter bees.

#190 ·
Saltybee,

It could be, but I assume the bees know what they are doing, or at least I hope so. I tend to see it with young splits when the weather is warmer and the bees can really stretch out that brood nest. When I worked with Africanized bees in Arizona, I commonly saw this in small swarms. Temps were generally warmer and they would push the brood nest to the limits.

Joe

#191 ·
I have been stealing brood to make nucs from the same hive which I graft from. I think I have been making it much harder for myself. Pushing too hard. Feeding and stealing more from the result. Need to stop that.

#196 ·
Keith, apparently you are not so busy that you still have time to read Beesource, make a critical remark about a member's post and then not explain your remark when asked.

You can post anything you like (within forum rules), but when you make controversial statements and then don't back them up, you shouldn't be surprised that some forum members question your motives. Whether you are "too busy" or not isn't the point.

I have not bought any sub from your competitors, and may not ever. I have no axe to grind. But as I said earlier, when you adopt an aggressive stance like you seem to do regularly, you really shouldn't be surprised when you get pushback. I can't believe I am the first person to suggest this to you.

#198 ·
Keith, apparently you are not so busy that you still have time to read Beesource, make a critical remark about a member's post and then not explain your remark when asked..
RS, you just can't handel the TRUTH! reading beesource on a lap top and taking a pics from hives that are 400 miles away are two different things. Make "critical remarks" sorry again, it's the TRUTH. explain.... I did, dry. Remember Lauri asked me to chime in. Becareful what you ask for from Keith.... you may just get the hard cold TRUTH.

#197 ·
I've got a few hives in the back yard I can snap a photo of and the rest are all in this state, problem is I don't have any Nutra-Bee. If I it and had enough to really pile it on, I'd post some photos after a couple feedings. It probably wouldn't work that well here, our bees don't have all the down time Keith's bees do;).

#199 ·
> Becareful what you ask for from Keith.... you may just get the hard cold TRUTH.

So when you first made that "bone head" remark, was that the truth? Or was it when you later suggested that you didn't really mean it?

Allow me to suggest that you might get less flack if you write a reply to a post you disagree with, then let it sit a while before you actually push the "Post" button. Just a thought.

#203 · (Edited)
> You obviously do not know what commercial beekeeping is and how hard it is to take a pic when every minute is worth lots.

The context that Keith made his analysis of Lauri's photo was not, IMO, as a commercial beekeeper. I will bet that most readers saw Keith's comment in the context of Keith being the owner/chief marketing officer of Nutra-Bee, a sub producer. His signature line on every post clearly promotes Nutra-Bee. Beekeeper vs sub manufacturer are two significantly different roles.

Keith was critiquing a sub recipe. As I said earlier, If Keith chooses to post aggressive comments about sub recipes or sub competitors, he should expect to get flack when those comments are not carefully explained. Go back and read the relevant portion of the thread. You can clearly see that Keith was not prepared to explain/document his critique, and seemed surprised when asked to do so.

#206 ·
>

The context that Keith made his analysis of Lauri's photo was not, IMO, as a commercial beekeeper. I will bet that most readers saw Keith's comment in the context of Keith being the owner/chief marketing officer of Nutra-Bee, a sub producer. His signature line on every post clearly promotes Nutra-Bee. Beekeeper vs sub manufacturer are two significantly different roles.

You are making poor assumptions. Most people on this forum know that Keith is a reputable commercial beekeeper.

>
Keith was critiquing a sub recipe. As I said earlier, If Keith chooses to post aggressive comments about sub recipes or sub competitors...

I was following this thread and did not see any aggressive comments. Keith posted replies on how to make the sub more nutritional and apparently that offended you so you start throwing unnecessary comments.

#209 · (Edited)
I hear that little voice that is saying 'Don't post'
But here is my entry for November for the Nutra Bee Calendar...A good display of Full spectrum amino acids

(If this is too graphic for viewing, let me know and I'll remove it. Don't want to offend anyone)

#210 ·
More math
Venison profile......
Tryptophan 0.5g -
Threonine 2.3g -
Isoleucine 2.6g -
Leucine 4.6g -
Lysine 4.9g -
Methionine 1.4g -
Cystine 0.6g -
Phenylalanine 2.3g -
Tyrosine 1.9g -
Valine 2.9g -
Arginine 3.6g -
Histidine 1.8g

Really, you hunt with a back tension release? Bit of OCD mixed with your overachiever tendencies?

#213 ·
Unless there is the info for a source where I can get single tubs of Nutra Bee this coming spring, I'm not reading through this 11 pages of cattle patty. I didn't get replies to my emails and IMs sent this last spring when I was trying to buy Nutra Bee. Until it comes available in small orders, the bees are taking Bee Pro just fine.

#217 ·
I found this thread very helpful. Lots of good info here. I don't make my own subs at this point but I learned a lot of what to look for. I'm on the east coast and can't access Keith's product. But I find him quite helpful if you're willing to dig a little, same for Joe and their interchange was very interesting to me. I wouldn't disclose my formula if I were Keith or Joe either. Lots of study, experimentation and tweaking to get where they are with their products. Those who expect them to disclose their formulas are dreaming or very poor business people. Little beekeepers are more forthcoming but they don't make part of their income from sales. I have found both Keith and Joe very helpful in the past when I've reached out to them. No "overblown egos" there. Just a hell of a lot of knowledge that people should shut up and listen to IMO.

#216 ·
I ate it alright, the best part of the deer. But slice it thin, shake in Progresso Italian crumbs and fry in olive oil first...

I did try a bite of a fresh Elk liver out in the field, though. It was tastless and tough. A very small bite I should add.

Sorry to get offf topic, Barry. Won't happen again.

#219 ·
Taste test results on a single hive; mine 2o% soy,20% brewers, 60% sugar for dry mix, little egg yolk, corn oil and veg oil. one patty with apple cider vinegar one without. Slight perference for the with vinegar.
Nutr -bee mixed with 60% added sugar. Visably finer ground than mine. Much greater consumption, easy ten times more. Nutra -bee is the only brand I 've tried so I have no other data.

Results for a one hive, 3 day consumption test. Mine is not even a dog food to steak comparison in the eyes of the bees.

Anyone else done a same hive comparison with different subs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.