Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Default Products like Mann Lake Ultra bee.

Has anyone had first hand experience with this type of product as to whether or not it could or would stimulate brood rearing at this time of year? Say this product and combination of sugar ayrup @ 1:1 ratio.
    "You have to put down the ducky if you wanna play the Saxophone!" Mr .Hoot

Default Re: Products like Mann Lake Ultra bee.

Personally, I wouldnt use it this time of year due to SHB. I have fed is successfully in January/February, however when anything else starts blooming its pretty much ignored.

I have used it during dearth conditions up here, Michigan. They eat it way faster than they do during the spring, but obviously the hive populations are bigger this time of year. I also don't have SHB to contend with. I should be feeding right now, but I don't want to remove all my supers. Also, the issue of having to pay for it. It would be interesting to see a side by side comparison of goldenrod honey yield with and without feeding.
    9th year beekeeper, about 20 hives.

muskratcreekhoney, I was wondering if they would actually use it, or chew it up and drag it out of the hive, but it sounds like they do use it from your experience. I was thinking of trying it, I have about 40 lbs. of it in a bag leftover from the spring feeding, but the goldenrod is about to start anyway and they'll be bringing in lots of pollen from that, so they would probably ignore it anyway.

My nucs are going through it like gangbusters right now. they are definitely eating it, not carrying it out. I'm also feeding them fondant. they are drawing wax and the queens are laying well [these are new queens].

If we would have had more of a dry summer I would have considered it this year, but I'm unwilling to strip off supers with the chance of farmers letting the mint and alfalfa bloom. The Ultrabee says not to use with supers on. I would guess that is the same for all pollen substitutes?
    9th year beekeeper, about 20 hives.

camero7, just curious if you are in a dearth right now in your area?

I use BeePro from Mannlake and make up my patties, and put on syrup at 2 parts water to 1 part sugar. I get great brood rearing and wax production comb building. I'm doing it right now and it's working great. Brood is increasing greatly and wax is being drawn very well.

Quote Originally Posted by RayMarler View Post
    I use BeePro from Mannlake and make up my patties, and put on syrup at 2 parts water to 1 part sugar. I get great brood rearing and wax production comb building. I'm doing it right now and it's working great. Brood is increasing greatly and wax is being drawn very well.
    Wax is being drawn in brood chamber or supers?

No, there is a small flow but these are new nucs and I want them to build up for the winter.

These are 2 story 5 frame medium nucs, so it's all brood chamber pretty much. And, it's very slow, if any, nectar flows here at the moment.

I've used it with great success.

For my recipe and instructions, see my facebook page for AG. Just scroll down to posts from a few days ago.

I use it mostly on my nucs I am feeding so they continue to grow, but during my dearth, I give the large hives a giant glob too. It doesn't stimulate rapid growth like syrup does, but the bees are healthy and strong and I see a real increase of royal jelly in the larval cells. Especially noticeable when you go to graft. Some newly hatched eggs will have the tiniest dab of jelly. A well fed hive will have a much more generous drop for the same age hatchling.

They like them soft. It's are real fine line between too runny and too thick. I mix it with a half inch drill, paint paddle and five gallon bucket. I get the food grade non wax paper in 6x6 sheets at my local wholesale restaurant supply.

I use to mix the brewers yeast and Bee pro in equal parts, but Mann lake changed Brewers yeast supplier and the product is now poor quality. But if you don't add some brewers yeast the patties will get hard as a rock.
    Keith on beesource sells Nutra bee. I have thought about trying that formula, but really have no reason to switch. Maybe he can fill us in on his product and it's comparison to Bee Pro.

I don't have small hive beetle here in Washington. I don't buy bees anymore so I won't be bringing them in ether.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mille...56954971040510
    Last edited by Lauri; 08-08-2013 at 08:08 AM.

I only had one hive to eat it like yours are...my other hives did not really even touch it...including nucs that did not have a lot of stores/
    "You have to put down the ducky if you wanna play the Saxophone!" Mr .Hoot

Lauri - looks like the bees really like your recipe. I searched through your Facebook page and couldn't find it. Can post a direct link or simply post the recipe here?

TIA.
    --shinbone
    (3rd year, 14 hives, Zone 5b, 5400 ft, 15.8" annual rainfall)

Lauri's protien patty recipe:
    25# cane sugar
    2 quarts cold water
    2 quarts apple cider vinegar
    1-2 cups olive oil- depending on your desired fat content
    a sprinkle of electrolytes, about 1 tsp.
    about 1 T Citric acid
    splash of Mann Lake Pro health or other essential oil of choice
    Mix these ingredients in a five gallon bucket, mix well with a drill and paint mixer paddle.
    Add:
    15 cups brewers yeast..mix well
    add a few cups at a time:
    ...aprox 15 cups Mann Lake BEE PRO
    (Dry ingredient measurements are approximate, I just dump it in a bit at a time with a big scoop)

Mix should be thick like peanut butter cookie dough. If it is not thick enough, just add more dry ingredients. Too thick and it will dry out in the hive. Too thin and it will drip through the frames
    Let it stand an hour or so to thicken. I scoop it right onto the top bars in the hives with a big- one cup ice cream scoop. 2 scoops for big hives, 1 scoop for nucs, 1/2 scoop for mini nucs, but only after the newly mated queen starts laying. They won't take it up unless there is brood to feed.

If a person treats their hives with any type of antibiotic, I would defiantly add probiotics to the patties. I do not treat myself.

I think the acidity and micro nutrients of the cider vinegar help balance the feeds PH and make it more palitable toward the bees digestive system. I have 133 hives and do not have a single one that doesn't eat the patties just like the photo shows. They love it.

(For my fall patties I have also added a 'glug' of olive oil for a higher fat content. Don't hold me to a measurement..probably about a cup)

I've used this recipe for three years. Overwintered 55 hives in 2012-2013 and am now at 133 with no bee purchases, only increases from my own stock. And they are healthy and thriving. My biggest problem is I keep having to buy more cases of frames and foundation to keep up.

Now some people are against feeding. And with my larger established hives, I don't have to. They are wonderfully self sufficient. But my queen cell starter an dfinisher hives, nucs and mating nucs are a different story. I want them to grow and I feed them to get the performance I want.
    And I get it.

Last edited by Lauri; 12-06-2013 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauri View Post
    Keith on beesource sells Nutra bee. I have thought about trying that formula, but really have no reason to switch. Maybe he can fill us in on his product and it's comparison to Bee Pro.
    I'm just listening and watching this thread, I think if folks stop and really look at what there feeding & the value of what there feeding, that would be a great start.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Lauri - Thanks!
    --shinbone
    (3rd year, 14 hives, Zone 5b, 5400 ft, 15.8" annual rainfall)

In Lauri last pics of brood the larva looks very dry, there are many suttel clues along the way if one takes the time to smell the roses.

Heres a close up of a new frame.

Dry