Default What's the purpose of the sugar in HBH?

With the normal use of HBH being mixed with sugar syrup as a feeding stimulant. Why have sugar in the HBH?

Default Re: What's the purpose of the sugar in HBH?

Would the bees consume the ingredients without the syrup?

Wayne

It's usually mixed into sugar syrup which is very high in sugar.

Shouldn't the question be, what is the purpose of Honey-B-Healthy in sugar syrup. It seems obvious the purpose of sugar for bees. Not so obvious the purpose of Honey-B-Healthy to bees.

Honey-B-Healthy (HBH), is primarily a mixture of two essential oils (lemongrass and spearmint), it does not contain sugar or sugar syrup. Some add it to sugar syrup in order to increase the attractiveness of sugar syrup to bees. Personally, I haven't had any need to inspire my bees to take sugar syrup. They find it quite attractive, even without added Honey-B-Healthy (HBH).

Perhaps some confusion is created when many people call their mixtures containing Honey-B-Healthy (HBH), "Honey-B-Healthy". When those mixtures contain Honey-B-Healthy, but are not actually Honey-B-Healthy, themselves.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 10-16-2014 at 04:25 PM.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Here's a link to the manufacturers label. First ingredient is sucrose.

http://honeybhealthy.com/pint.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by BigGun View Post
    With the normal use of HBH being mixed with sugar syrup as a feeding stimulant. Why have sugar in the HBH?
    BigGun, The HBH is mixed with sugar syrup because the primary ingredients other than the sugar water are oils. Oils do not mix well with water based liquids, they float on the top. Thus, you must use an emulsifier to get them to mix. Since the oils are already emulsified in the HBH (probably using lecithin), it will mix well with your regular syrup. The emulsifier need something to bind with and the sugar is what it uses. I hope this answers your question.

Apparently there are several manufacturers of this product. The list of ingredients, from the document I linked to in my first post, says, "It is made with lecithin, sodium lauryl sulfate, water, lemongrass oil, and spearmint oil." That PDF link is repeated here. I see that the PDF at your link, claims to be the "original" Honey-B-Healthy, so that assumes there are imitators.

Lecithin is the ingredient used to assist the oils into blending into the other liquid ingredients.

The only reason I can think for adding sugar to the basic product, is that sugar is cheap, and would add bulk to the product, making it seem like you are getting more for your money. Since it is primarily added to sugar syrup, you'd think it wouldn't actually need to have a head start on that process.
    Last edited by Joseph Clemens; 10-16-2014 at 04:37 PM.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Dudelt. You make sense. If its already mixed with sugar in the product, mixing it with syrup only thins it down. Just aids it being mixed more quickly.

Joseph that link doesn't give the whole list of ingredients as should be on a label. I think that's just a brochure.
    Last edited by BigGun; 10-16-2014 at 05:36 PM. Reason: I can't spell.

Now that we are on this subject. What is the sodium lauryl sulfate included for? I know it's a surfactant.

I think sodium lauryl sulfate is mainly as a help in emulsifying the oils in the sugar syrup carrier. I have seen some recipes that use soy lecithin as the emulsifier. It is easier to emulsify the oils into a syrup than it would be with a thin water solution. Mann Lakes similar product has some thymol in it besides lemon grass oil & spearmint oil.
    Frank

I looked it up and wiki says its main use is as a surfactant but, if you keep reading it says it can be used as an emulsifier.

Some people do try to avoid Sodium Lauryl Sulphate; it does have some cautions associated with it for edible products.
    Frank

I think I read some of the same warnings. And we feed it to our bees.

Feeding is already problematic because of robbing. Adding HBH is like throwing gasoline on the fire... If I have to feed, what I want is feed with no smell whatsoever...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Now if you are trying to get them to take some narsty tystin' medsin the aroma of HBH might help em choke it down. Remember the flavored cod liver oil! Other than that MB is spot on where feeding is concerned especially in a dearth.
    Frank