Default Advice on overwintering one box 10 frames medium

Hi,

I'm not very familiar with U.S. terminology on beekeeping so please give me a hand on this.
    I'll try to be short.

1. I've bought 2 hives in June - 1 deep box each one
    2. I started the process of migrating to Langstroth hive (shorten some of the combs that had no brood in the lower part - the rest will be shorten after all brood had emerged)
    3. Now both hives occupy 10 frames in the upper body and have a lower body with frames on foundation only (I don't have other).

The question:

How should I overwinter these hives?
    I incline to the solution of spliting the frames vertically having the food stores in the second hive body and isolating from the remaining vertical space.(3 frames with empty cells + 2 frames of honey in the lower, 5 frames of honey in the upper)

How is this situation handled in standard Langstroth hives? I mean when you have only one hive body populated enough and don't have built combs for the rest.

Thanks.

Default Re: Advice on overwintering one box 10 frames medium

You could try leaving in one box for winter but if it were me I'd do what you are thinking. Get them into two 5 frame boxes or place a divider in the boxes to restrict to 5 frames for each story (box).

I'd do this quick though so the bees have time to rearrange everything to the way they want it before the cold sets in. Not sure what your weather is like but hopefully you still have 2-3 months before highs drop down to below 10 C.

You could feed heavily to try to get more comb drawn. If it's not drawn by winter, hopefully the feeding will have them well stocked for winter.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Depends on your climate. I winter 10 frame medium singles all the time, but we don't have much winter. I have to really watch them in early spring as they don't have much stores to work with. A dry sugar cap (mountain camp method) is good insurance.

Thanks guys very much for the replies.

Greetings.