Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation How you seal your honey jars?

Hi there

I am looking to gather more information from the experts here about sealing honey jars ... How you seal your honey jars, if you are using machines, kindly attached the links!

Thank you!

Last edited by HoneyBlends; 06-22-2013 at 09:01 PM.
    Herbal Honey Blends Made in NY
    www.highendherbals.com

Default Re: How you seal your honey jars?

Fill jars and screw on caps. That's it.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Mark, I am looking for more safety for my customers, Right now I am sealing from the outside but sometime, the honey leaks, so I am looking to seal it from the inside ..thank you for your reply.
    www.highendherbals.com

I bottle thousands of lbs of honey each year which are sold directly to stores. I don't know what you are doing w/ your jars that your honey leaks from them. I don't seal my jars, neither does Dutch Gold, and I can stand my jars on their lids and not have any leaks. Not that I do that. So I don't know what to suggest you do differently.

How do you seal them from the outside?

My Mom used to put up strawberry jam sealed w/ a layer of wax and then a screwed on cap, Mason Jars. Is that what you are looking for?
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

I don't have that much leaking, but I wanted to add extra sealing from the inside, you know those self sealing seals ... now a days the people are so picky, that is why I am giving them a high-End Product and also I am always working to add more safety to my jars, thank you so much for your reply.
    www.highendherbals.com

Quote Originally Posted by HoneyBlends View Post
    I don't have that much leaking, but I wanted to add extra sealing from the inside, you know those self sealing seals ... now a days the people are so picky, that is why I am giving them a high-End Product and also I am always working to add more safety to my jars, thank you so much for your reply.
    If you would use standard honey jars w/ Plasticell caps that should take care of it. That's what the big guys use. You could also use the heat shrink plastic tamper proof collars. I don't, but some folks do.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley_Bee View Post
    I generally turn the lid clockwise in a downward motion, Once i get about half a turn tight I'll really put the arm strength to them and seal them good. I'm sure there's some validity in your question, it just seems so preposterous .
    Thank you much for your reply.
    www.highendherbals.com

Sounds like you are looking for a seal that gives the consumer confidence that it's not been tampered with as opposed to preventing leakage. They are common on many food products and we've all seen them. They are placed inside the lid and are pressure sealed when you screw it down. When the lid is removed there is a seal that often says 'Sealed for Your Protection'.

Kelley sells them as well as some of the other beekeeping suppliers. Also available from many other non-beekeeping suppliers. Not familiar with any machines that seal jars but I'm sure they're out there if you can afford them.

Thank you so much Swm for your reply, I just ordered them now .. thanks again

Placed inside the lid? Could someone illustrate or show a link? There shouldn't be anything inside the jar or inside of the lid other than honey. Unless this is part of the lid itself.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Unless this is part of the lid itself.
    It's not part of the lid, but a part of the lid unit. I've used these seals on plastic containers for as long as I've been beekeeping. Glass is a different story.
    Regards, Barry

Most plastic squeeze containers with a flip-top lid come with these already inside the lid. They are not as common for glass so you may have to purchase them separately if you want to use them. Yes, place them inside the lid and screw it down tight.

If this link doesn't work then go to Kelley's website, select Honey Jars & Containers, then scroll down to Polyfoam Pressure Seals.

https://kelleybees.com/Products/Deta...3339&grouped=1

That's right. I wasn't thinking of squeeze jars or bears. I made the assumption we were talking about glass jars. My mistake.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Quote Originally Posted by HoneyBlends View Post
    Mason jar with a snap lid, use a vacuum pump to pull a seal on it? Oops.. I see we're talking plastic containers. Sorry!

Thank you Dark Wolf, btw, I was talking about Glass Jars
    www.highendherbals.com

Oh, you were? Ok.. I wasn't sure since there was some back and forth over plastic. This is what I was talking about. You'll need a vacuum pump, but it's easy to mod a bicycle pump to do it. That is, if you are indeed using mason jars. You would need to heat the lids as usual like any canning process.

Quote Originally Posted by SWM View Post
    Most plastic squeeze containers with a flip-top lid come with these already inside the lid. They are not as common for glass so you may have to purchase them separately if you want to use them. Yes, place them inside the lid and screw it down tight.

If this link doesn't work then go to Kelley's website, select Honey Jars & Containers, then scroll down to Polyfoam Pressure Seals.

https://kelleybees.com/Products/Deta...3339&grouped=1
    I couldn't tell, do these come in different sizes? Such as for 1lb., 2lb, or 5lb.?

I really gotta say that imo anything more than filling jars and screwing on caps is overkill. I guess I can see using tamper proof seals, but vacuum seal? Unnecassary.
    Mark Berninghausen
    Squeak Creek Apiaries

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    I couldn't tell, do these come in different sizes? Such as for 1lb., 2lb, or 5lb.?
    It's dependant on the lid size, which is why you can select 38mm, 43mm, 48mm and etc. You'll need to check your lid size.

I also have trouble with mason jars leaking. No matter how tight I try to put it on; I do fill as much as I can to make it 23 ounces. I use Ball jars and Walmart's Mainstay. The lids that are included are the 2 part kind, rim and inner cover.

I haven't resolved the problem yet, though I did buy some separate twist on metal lids that I haven't tried. I hate to throw away a perfectly good lid. I also prefer glass because I think honey looks prettier and are healthier than glass. I use plastic for smaller amounts of honey.
    Pleasant words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. Prvb 16:24
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast