Thread: carni heat

Default carni heat

Anyone have success with carnis in hot climates? Looking to re-queen with really docile breed, however, the heat and humidity in South Texas can get stifling and I've read they are more of a cool weather breed.

Default Re: carni heat

I've been happy with my Carni's in North Florida. Sometimes if it gets really hot in the late summer they will slow down on raising brood for a bit, but that hasn't been a problem so far. Got some VSH Carni's a couple of months ago that look like they are going to do well.
    Gary

cool, I like to hear real world experience as I've only read that they do not do good in hot weather (haven't actually talked to anyone)...south texas is a bit hotter than north florida but maybe they would do alright if others have them without problems in hot climates...every now and then we get some cold nasty months but overall, super hot and super humid

All Apis mellifera are tropical. Carni's should do fine.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thanks Michael! I'm going to give them a shot.

>VSH Carni's,
    BeeTax, where did you find those?
    I thought they had gone away when the Glens closed their doors.
    Marty Goulooze... Sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb. Psalm 19:9&10

My uncle had Carnis in Bay City, outside of Houston. I'm now in southeast Ga and have two hives of Carnis and they seem to be doing fine, or at least as well as all my others. It's my first year for them so if it's too hot here I'll know soon enough. It's been over 100 many times already. I've got a digital, wireless monitor in four of my hives and the temps shot up past 108 a few times this year. No die offs and nothing odd noted.

I think they'll be a rewarding addition to your growing collection. Love mine so far.

I think the record high in Nebraska was 118 F... but I've never seen that. I have, however seen 114 F once back when I had Italians and the honey was leaking out the front door... Here in Southeast Nebraska some 100 F days are typical in the summer and the Carniolans do fine. I'm sure you get hot weather for longer in Texas, but I'm not sure you get that much hotter...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Bee Lover View Post
    >VSH Carni's,
    BeeTax, where did you find those?
    I thought they had gone away when the Glens closed their doors.
    I got them from Dan Williams of Pine Ridge Farms. He advertises in the FOR SALE section of this forum, I think the ad is on about page 3 right now. Don't know if he has any left.
    Gary

Thanks, BeeTax!
    Marty Goulooze... Sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb. Psalm 19:9&10