Default beautyberry? (central Texas)

I thought this was callicarpa americana when I bought it (brilliant purple berries) but now have my doubts. It is 9-10 feet tall and much more tolerant of full sun than expected. The leaves are fuzzy-textured. Freezes to the ground in the years with a winter season but re-sprouts. The bees love it. Does anyone know its real identity?
    Thanks.
    beautyberry_122.jpg

Default Re: beautyberry? (central Texas)

Looks like it to me. Is this the first time it has bloomed? Will have clusters of purple berries up the branch.
    It takes a family to raise a family, it takes a village to really screw that up... Djei5

Much bigger bloom than my beauty berries. Also, mine are only 3 feet tall and maybe 4 feet across.

I'm wondering if it is callicarpa acuminata, Mexican beautyberry instead of callicarpa americana. I planted it in the shade of a hackberry which had to be cut down later. I expected it to overheat and die without that shade but it doesn't seem to mind. Bees work it first thing in the morning but not afternoon.

Ccarter is correct. You have C. acuminata; Mexican Beautyberry or Black Beautyberry. Branches are more tomentose (fuzzy). Flowers clusters are larger and white vs the smaller pink clusters on C. americana.

Thank you for the confirmation.