Default Horrible smell in the basement!

About a month ago I dumped a stuck fermentation of mead down a floor drain. I had attempted to get it unstuck with cream of tartar and got this nasty taste going I was not going to live with. A couple weeks passes and I keep dumping more water down that floor drain because that had to be the source of the odor! I started cleaning and looking and thankfully found a mouse population that I didn't know I had! In the house 28 years and nary a sign of Mickey or Minnie. A good thing as I think I about have them exterminated. If I can't I go catch a bull snake and turn it loose in the basement~! No, not if I want to stay married, but it would really work .

But the smell went on. Today while digging more I came across my bucket of sauerkraut and guess what! Holey Hannah but we got a sufite thing going on~! So now I am canning kraut! I had been wondering when it was going to be ready. Normally it doesn't put out any warning but I filled the container too full and I didn't get A good enough seal. The kraut is crunchy and It usually is beyond that when I open it up but I lost track of when it was supposed to be done. Probably the end of the month.

Default Re: Horrible smell in the basement!

I think the kraut I do is about 6-9 weeks fermentation time, not bad but it smells the basement up especially if it is too cold to open a window.
    I have a batch of vikings blood that is kinda piddling, some days I see a little airlock activity and sometimes it seems to be done - it should be close, should be ready to check here in a week or two and see what the gravity is. Hoping it turns out, I really messed up converting the measurements from metric to standard and ended up with a three gallon batch to make it work - I was originally going to do a one gallon test batch.

Default Re: Horrible smell in the basement!

Mine is supposed to be three months. I hadn't thought of airlocking it! What a concept! I guess I have an airlock. It is a plastic bag full of about two gallons of water to weigh down the shredded cabbage and keep the bad stuff out. I never thought of it as an airlock though. Guess I need to buy another brew bucket.