Thread: Mini Swarms?

Default Mini Swarms?

1st year beekeep here. I have had a couple of "mini-swarms" the last couple of weeks. They are about a baseball size group of bees that have collected on branches near the hives. This has happened twice and I'm not sure what to make of it. On my inspections everything looks fine. Is this some bees thinking about swarming and trying to get more to follow? I have three medium boxes with a couple of empty frames in the 2nd box and 4 empty frames in the top box, so I don't think they are overcrowded. This is representative of both my hives. Any ideas? Is this something to be concerned about? The last time the bees just kind of broke up after a couple of hours and I assume they went back to the hive they came from. I am going to get into the bottom box and see if maybe it is honey bound. I have a small lower entrance and a larger upper entrance. Thanks in advance for any feedback!!
    Last edited by HeffsBStuff; 08-03-2013 at 05:43 PM. Reason: correction

Default Re: Mini Swarms?

OK, I guess this question was too stupid to be answered...... is there a stupid prebeginner forum for us complete idiots? teeheehee That would be the place for me I guess.......... just point me in the right direction.

Could have been a queen mating flight. I had one this week, went to put it swarm box and they flew right back to my bee yard. Sunday is my day of inspection and I will be verifying there is enough room with the honey flow going.
    Jack Moore ~ Sticky Bear Apiary
    Zone 7a ~ Elev: 4840ft. ~ https://www.facebook.com/StickyBearApiary

Thanks for the response Jack! I put them in a nuc box and I guess I will look at them in a couple of days if they stick around...... I'm not really sure how to approach this