Default Yellow Jackets and Bald Faced Hornets

We are having a really bad Yellow Jacket season. I put traps up around my hive and have one hanging on the hive. We have a few Bald Faced Hornets flying around, they seem to be going after just the Yellow Jackets. Have any of you had problems with the Hornets bothering the Honey Bees? And if so what do you do about them? I read online that they go after the Yellow Jackets and also Wax Moth, I read that they will kill a few of the Honey Bees but it sounds like not many. Thoughts?!

Kat

Default Re: Yellow Jackets and Bald Faced Hornets

30 hornets vs 30,000 bees

I don't know about hornets, but you can bait a gallon jug with honey water and draw them in. There's also the old hang a fish over water and the jackets will gorge and drown. Maybe that would work on the hornets. Good luck~

we are in the middle of a bad yj season as well. the hornets do kill bees, just check the nearest tree branches to your hives. i find them reorganizing their dead bee loads before they head back to the nest. i don't know how to get rid of them. i have 7 of those store bought yj traps that i have to empty every night because they are full to the top. i'm baiting therm with mule deer and duck burger. they have not started going for the hives yet, but i know its coming. justin

I've heard of going big time. Plastic brute trashcan, water in the bottom with a little detergent to break the surface tension, then hang a lightbulb above it near the lid and holes cut in the sides near the top will get the hornets since they hit lights at night. Or, cut a hole in the lid, find the biggest funnel you can find, then drop a couple bananas and a quart of apple cider vinegar in there. Drop the funnel into the hole you cut in the lid. Bees go in, can't find their way out - easily, though the will try going to the light made by the funnel. Better with a sheet of plexiglass over the top and then the funnel. Then they just weary themselves before they drown. Dump it after a month or so.

I've been wanting to do this for mosquitos. Use brown sugar and yeast. Creates a bubble of carbon dioxide to attract the mosquitos, keep it going by adding a little sugar every few days.
    Rob.

following this... i'm having a terrible problem with both yellow jackets and bald faced hornets, and another kind I haven't identified yet. The hornets were swooping down and grabbing my bees right out of the air yesterday and flying off with them. I have a WHY trap right by my hive, one bee drowned in it, but other than that just yellow jackets... doesn't seem to be making a dent in their population though

This time of year I start having both yellow jackets & german hornets attacking my hives.
    The best way I have found to combat them is to reduce the entrances.
    The bees can defend themselves pretty well with a small entrance.

Luckily there are none of those Japanese Giant Hornets to deal with (as portrayed in the video above) in my area to worry about.

That's an interesting mix. Seems very similar to what some use for hive beetle traps in the hive. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm................