Hybrid View

Default Looking for work in So Cal

Hello,

I am currently looking for a beekeeping related job. I am 23 and have 3 years experience working in a pollination ecology lab, two years experience in beekeeping, and have both assisted commercial beekeepers in most aspects of their work, and have six of my own hives which I manage. I have also interned at Associates Insectary, an insectary and IPM workplace so I am familiar with pests, beneficials, and pesticides. I have some college under my belt, but haven't finished my degree at California State Channel Islands yet. I may be willing to relocate if the place and price is right. Depending on the cost of living I would like to be paid appropriately. Double the cost of rent is desirable, but I am open to any offers. I have some college experience in Biology with an Ecology and Entomology focus, but no degree yet.

Bryan Castro
    bryan.castro846@myci.csuci.edu

Default Re: Looking for work in So Cal

Can you lift heavy boxes all day in the heat, dressed in a full bee suit, while being stung by angry bees?

It depends on how heavy the lift is. I am 5"4 and 130 lbs so up to 1 Deep and 1 Med I can lift, but I struggle a bit more lifting 2 deeps+ onto the back of a pickup without a buddy. I have worked in Kern when it was about 110 degrees in a full bee suit studying African bees, so the heat isn't really a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    Can you lift heavy boxes all day in the heat, dressed in a full bee suit, while being stung by angry bees?
    Can you?
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Can you?
    Definitely not.

Twenty three years ago, when I was diagnosed with MS, the neurologist told me to plan on being in a wheelchair in 10-15 years. Luckily, maybe due to regular stings of bee venom, I am still walking today. But I can not walk and carry, handle stairs or inclines, or lift heavy weights. Nor take any form of direct hot sun or heat, it brings on the MS deterioration symptoms. My bees rarely require me to don much more than a veil, I could not take the stuffiness of a bee suit. I pay labor to do all my heavy work. My day is spent walking from chair to chair and watching them work. Or standing on wobbly legs watching them work. Last week one day we pulled three crops to help a friend. Just the walking and getting in and out of the truck all day exhausted me. I didn't touch a box.

I was just trying to point out the reality which becomes quickly evident to anyone taking up beekeeping, especially commercial beekeeping. I just wanted to let Verick ponder on what he might be getting into. Commercial beekeepers could comment on how many laborers have come and gone quickly in their operations due to these realities.

In the next few years you will see many of the millions of new beekeepers dropping the hobby and giving up their hives for free or pennies on the dollar. First off, their bees will die and they will tire of renovating the moth and SHB damage and buying new bees. But more ever, like those who get inspired to garden, they will quit because bee keeping requires hard, uncomfortable physical labor. You work in hot sun, wearing a hot suit, carrying heavy boxes while being stung by angry bees. You make a huge sticky mess of your car and kitchen. This whole back to the earth, grow vegetables, get bees, get chickens, all already happened in the '70s. I have a thousands of dollars of bee equipment donated to me from the quitters of that era.

In Bryan's first post, he mentioned he worked with a commercial beekeeper. Seemed he had an idea what he was wanting to get into.
    Regards, Barry

He sounds more like a college educated person seeking the salary commensurate with his education. How many entry positions are there available in commercial beekeeping for a person like that? Aren't most entry level positions for physical labors? Maybe he is willing to work his way up?