Question Managing bee yard for co-worker, what would you ask for in return?

I have a co-worker that has a 4 hive bee yard. He runs langs deeps & shallows with foundation. He had a severe anaphalyatic reaction after his last sting and ended up in the ER. Two units of benedryl and epi iv to get reaction under control.

He is going to allergist to confirm it's bee venom issue and work on desensitization. In the meantime I offered to help him manage his hives. He said we would work something out for my help. His yard is 1/2 hour from work and 1 hour from my house.

What I really need is bees for next year not cash. Do you think asking to make 2 nucs from his hives to overwinter is reasonable? I wouldn't need keep the two deep boxes and frames after I got things going next year.
    1yr Beekeeper running foundation-less, all medium langs
    Goals: Cut comb & pollination, IPM w/minimal chemicals

Default Re: Managing bee yard for co-worker, what would you ask for in return?

Seems reasonable to me. What is your friend offering? If desensitization doesn't work maybe you will end up w/ all of them.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

two nucs seems like a fair deal for both of you. actually I think your friend is getting the better end of the deal. But seeing as you volunteered you cannot expect a great deal. Nucs or starts are always a great barter between bee keepers.

He didn't know you could get controlled shots and sometimes tone down allergy to were you can still work bees safely. I offered managing hives for him while he tried the desentization route as an alternative to selling everything immediately. He offered selling me his hives but I couldn't pay him anything reasonable.

He's never worked with another beek and didn't know what a fair trade would be. This is my first year so good to hear I'm in general ballpark. We haven't set any details since he hasn't confirmed it was a bee sting yet.
    1yr Beekeeper running foundation-less, all medium langs
    Goals: Cut comb & pollination, IPM w/minimal chemicals

I would suggest that you temporarily move the hives to your place...

Work on getting the bees ready for winter and worry about splits in the Spring.

Unless you purchased queens and split everything now.
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

He might be looking at 2 years of therapy, before he can safely work with bees again. I would also suggest moving them closer to you for the time being.

Getting the nucs out also sounds reasonable compensation. You two also need to work out the long term plan and what is going to happen if some of his hives don't make it through the winter.

Quote Originally Posted by merince View Post
    He might be looking at 2 years of therapy, before he can safely work with bees again. I would also suggest moving them closer to you for the time being.

Getting the nucs out also sounds reasonable compensation. You two also need to work out the long term plan and what is going to happen if some of his hives don't make it through the winter.
    x2 it would suck to get a bill in the mail for bees " you killed" when only trying to help. I have had some sort of business or other for many yrs, and your worst deals will happen with friends and family

I like all the comments above but MERINCE brings up another point. You need to set up what happens if you follow all of his directions and meet all of his concerns but through no fault of your own something happends to one or more of the hives. If he allows you to start a NUC or two go ahead an get the woodenware and foundation you need to handle the nucs and then in a month or two get the deeps you will need or better yet if he has them use his but replace what you use rather than turning it back. Try to keep your bees "in their home" if at all possible. Moving all the bees to your place is a matter of convience but if they are established in multiple boxes it might be a lot of work because then you may have to take them back. You can take yours home if he allows the starts if you have the room and there are no restrictions where you live.

Either way get the experience you need and one way or another start your own. And if no one has already said this--- WELCOME TO BEEKEEPING AND GOOD LUCK!!!

Four Hives is a decent amount of work, and depending on the amount of your time required he might be the one getting a deal here... I have 4 hives and I'm first year just like you & i spen 2.5 - 3 hrs a week on those 4 hives & related work