Default What can laying workers produce

I have yet to locate a queen....none of my packages or nucs came with marked queens.

I have a hive that started from a nuc that simply doesn't seem to expand.....started the end of May and still in a single deep. Much less front porch activity than the other hives. All of that group of nucs are slower than the other nucs or packages but the one is very slow.

There is open and capped brood in the slow hive...mainly worker brood with a smattering of drone drone. Good honey and pollen stores.

Question.....can laying workers produce worker brood or only drone brood?

Thanks for clarification.

Default Re: What can laying workers produce

Laying workers only lay drones.

Laying workers produce unhappy keepers.

>Question.....can laying workers produce worker brood or only drone brood?

Only drone brood. Since they have never mated all their eggs are unfertilized and unfertilized eggs become drones.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beeslayingworkers.htm
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thank you all....that is what I thought but required confirmation. When you read about the horror of laying workers and have a slow hive you start to imagine all sorts of things.
    I will clean up the bottom board and then see If I can see any tiny red mites...perhaps that is why they have such a small colony.
    Am I correct in thinking if a hive has 2 full deeps that the honey supers can be harvested?

WBVC, it is very hard to diagnose the hive based on there is not much bees and there are some drone brood.

If you could post a pic of the brood, that will go a long way to a correct diagnosis.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

I will try for a photo...I hope to have someone with experience come in to look on Wed...will take a snap then. I find it hard to hold frames and act as camera person. I was very unhappy with what I saw yesterday. Out of 15 hives...10 of which are from nucs and 2 from packages this is the only hive that has done nothing.
    When I opened the nuc to put it in the 10 frame deep I marked it as having:

Open queen cells both on the bottom of 1 frame ans in the middle of another frame.
    There was brood on frame but the capping was very dark...the color of chocolate
    All the comb was dark brown...not creamy
    There were far fewer bees than in the other nucs

When I inspected it 2 weeks later there was a smattering of uncapped larva so I assumed there was a Queen.

There has always been very little front porch activity compared to the other hives.

The other hives had filled most of their first deep before I was to go on vacation so I put on a second deep before leaving.

When away a family member checked the hive top feeders. He said that 9 of the nucs had finished theirs in2 weeks but the thin hive took about 3 weeks to go through a gallon. He did not refill as I was due home.

9 have covered 4-6 frames in the 2nd deep...4 with just honey and 5 with honey and brood.

The week hive remains on the original nuc frames. I now see no larvae and no brood. No queen cells. Mix of drones and workers...all quietly going about their business. There is some open nectar...in the chocolate coloured comb and some capped cells which I presume is honey but hard to say as the Olof is so dark.

My gut reaction is to make certain there is no Queen, give some open and capped brood and honey from other hives and re Queen if no Queen plus feed a lot.

As I have never located a Queen I am hoping to get someone from one of the hive shops to come out and help.

I wish Queens came with flags.

In accordance with my self-appointed task of muddying the waters, I'll just leave this here:

http://www.dave-cushman.net/bee/thelytoky.html

Not something to rely on, of course.

Agreed RAldridge, relying on that in EHB would be a very bad plan.

WBVC I'll wait for your pics, but mean time, here's a little thing I once did with pics and explanations, it's not your scenario exactly but does any of this ring true in your case?
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...and-Back-Again
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Quote Originally Posted by TheBuzz View Post
    Laying workers produce unhappy keepers.
    Mine produced wax moths, too!
    Greg Whitehead, Ten Mile, TN
    Blog - http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/