Thread: Hornets

Default Hornets

After watching the youtube video ( a few weeks ago) on 30 hornets decimating a hive, I find a honey bee today that is chopped in half on the landing board! The legs were still kicking and the two body parts were separated by about an inch.
    Not knowing what to do, I put the entrance reducer in (at the larger of the two openings.)

Did I do the right thing? Should I have used even the smaller opening?
    Should I close it off entirely?
    Is there anything that I CAN do?

It will be dark in another hour, if that's any help.
    Last edited by Jackam; 08-01-2013 at 06:41 PM.

Default Re: Hornets

While honey bees will always have natural predators, (got a dragonfly at one of my yards that acts like a hawk), the hornets in the video are
    indigenous to Japan. As far as I know, the only true hornet in the U.S. is the european hornet.
    It takes a family to raise a family, it takes a village to really screw that up... Djei5

Ok - so this is a yellow jacket.
    I was excited!

I saw one tonight landing on the hive, taking of, landing, taking off.... then I whacked it.
    Any thoughts on keeping it's brethren from chomping my bees in half?

Jellow jacket traps. You can buy them or make them yourself. If you want to make them, search Youtube for some videos on how to......

Quote Originally Posted by BigDawg View Post
    Jellow jacket traps. You can buy them or make them yourself. If you want to make them, search Youtube for some videos on how to......
    Nothing. They should not be a problem unless you have an ungoddly amount of yellow jackets. Every so often a carpenter bee makes the mistake of entering, the hive balls it end story. I would be more worried about SHB and mites.