Default newspaper method with grocery bag?

I combined two hives late yesterday afternoon. I do not subscribe to any newspapers so in haste I used a paper grocery bag as the barrier between the hives. My afterthought is that it may be too heavy of a paper for the bees to chew through. Will they or wont they make it through the paper? I can hear them buzzing around in there pretty anxiously right now (the ones on top)

Default Re: newspaper method with grocery bag?

You can get a news paper at almost any gas station, or maybe use paper towel. The brown paper bag may be a little thick but if you cut some slits in it with a knife or poke a few tiny holes with the corner of you hive tool I suppose it will work. Make sure they have ventilation until they get through.

never tried it, but it does seem that it might bee too thick. If it is going to work you should see paper coming out after 1 to 3 days

Like others have said, it may be too thick but they'll chew holes in it, just may take a little longer, hopefully you cut a couple slits in it first, that will make it easier for them. Ventilation for the top colony is important too if its hot out, because they could bake in there until they get some good size holes in the paper. Prop up the outer cover with a stick on the inner cover. Don't make them chew out the whole paper bag, go in and check in a couple days to see if the two colonies are mingling well through the holes they chewed and if so take out what's left of the bag. If it was newspaper I would just leave it in there for the bees to chew up, but the bag is tougher material.

always put a slit in the paper. my last combine was done with untreated building paper and they chewed through it fine.
    thats the way i roll.

I just got done adding some slits with a small knife. I was able to tape the outer edges of the paper to the deep so that I could lift it without letting the bees out and then cut maybe 10 half inch slices in the paper. I also propped the lid on two sides with a couple of small sticks for ventilation but not enough to let bees out. They have an empty super on top with a pint of sugar water to get them through the next couple of days (it's from a fresh cut-out and they have little to no honey stored). Today was unusually mild and cloudy. But it is supposed to warm up this weekend into the 90's. I hope they join by then. Thanks all.