Default Rearranging brood frames in 2 deep hives

I think I have gottem my answer by doing some research but wanted to bounce it around a little and make sure. I have 1 hive that was a swar capture the middle of June. They took off strong with 10 days of 1:1 feeding and 5 frames of drawn comb. I added a second deep of ne foundation and they started drawing that out. They slowed a bit (as was expected until the new generation hatched) and I started seeing some irregular comb, I'v heard it called Fin comb by some but it was perpendicular to the foundation or sitting on the foundation and not a part of it. Anyway, I scraped it off and checkerboarded the frames trying to get good comb. It has helped but not solved the problem. I now have 7 frames of eggs or brood (4 bottom and 3 in the top) but these frames are only 60% brood with the rest being honey or pollen. the other 13 frames are honey, pollen, or partially drawn comb, some of which is irregular. The queen seems to cycle back and forth between top and bottom deep every 8-10 days or so.
    My question is, should I be taking the frames of brood from the top and putting them in the bottom to consolidate the brood? I mentioned that the brood frames were only 60% brood and the rest stores, therefore, by consolidating the brood in the bottom deep will they expand the brood area of the frames? They would have to cut the comb back to brood size as it has been lengthened for stores. My friend that gave me the 5 drawn comb only runs 9 frames instead of 10 and so the comb is quite long. I am thinking that it was all long to begin with ( I didn't know enough to notice) and this may be why they are not utilizing more of each frame for brood. I would like to be able to convert the bottom deep back to at least 10 frames but don't have room right now. The top deep I have 10 frames.

Default Re: Rearranging brood frames in 2 deep hives

Leave them alone they know what they are doing. What you describe is perfectly normal. As the summer progresses they will back fill the top as the brood hatches and push the brood into the bottom box.
    Dave

Default Re: Rearranging brood frames in 2 deep hives

thank you for your thoughts. I was also thinking about taking 5 frames and starting a nuc with a new queen. Heck maybe even replacing the old queen as well to try and make 2 hives for next year. Do you think I still have time? I know I would have to feed the nuc all fall and perhaps the parent hive as well.