Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Time Article

Default Time Article

http://science.time.com/2013/08/09/t...ene/?hpt=hp_t3

Alarmist, ignorant, Randy Oliver not helping as usual.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

Default Re: Time Article

"Randy Oliver, a beekeeper and independent researcher, told me that he could see honeybees becoming a feedlot animal like pigs or chickens, bred and kept for one purpose and having their food brought to them, rather than foraging in the semi-wild way they live now."
    Dan Hayden 4 Years. 9 hives. Tx Free. USDA Zone 5b.

In a lot ways humans are not much different than the Varroa.

reads to my like Randy got cherry picked........ Who would have thought with a TIME reporter! How the heck did you find no one with a pulse reads time??

My wife forwarded it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Solomon Parker View Post
    http://science.time.com/2013/08/09/t...ene/?hpt=hp_t3

Sam Comfort was the opening act for Randy Oliver at last month's Empire State Honey Producers Association Summer Picnic. Sam played his banjo and sang one of his songs and then introduced Randy. Randy complimented Sam's song and the message contained in it.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

...and then he goes and says stuff like this. Maybe he was cherry picked, but that just means that you have to be extra careful when you talk in public.

Or to a reporter.

I saw this Reporter interviewed yesterday on "The Cycle" on MSNBC. MSNBC listed cell phones amongst the things that are harmful to honey bees. I don't know if the Time Article Author sites them or not, but if he does I would question how good a job he actually did preparing to write his article.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

I don't see any reason to be upset with what Randy was quoted as saying here:

"Randy Oliver, a beekeeper and independent researcher, told me that he could see honeybees becoming a feedlot animal like pigs or chickens, bred and kept for one purpose and having their food brought to them, rather than foraging in the semi-wild way they live now."

That quote does not say that Randy was advocating that bees become a feedlot animal, it simply says that he can see the possibility that it might turn out that way.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

It does seem like many colonies that go to almonds are treated this way. The honeybees are just a tool for crop production.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    I don't know if the Time Article Author sites them or not, but if he does I would question how good a job he actually did preparing to write his article.
    I wouldn't even need to go that far to question how good a job he did.

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    That quote does not say that Randy was advocating that bees become a feedlot animal, it simply says that he can see the possibility that it might turn out that way.
    Maybe you don't, but you're a beekeeper (I assume) and know better. However, what it does look like to the uninitiated is that feedlot beekeeping is the way of the future, as distasteful as that may seem. It works with cows right? I use the word "propaganda" not just as a buzz word, but as an actual word. There are still far too many people who get into beekeeping to "save the bees" and articles like this only fan the flames. What they don't get is that they're usually walking right into doing what's causing the problem to begin with. All the beekeeping suppliers should be happy and happier that "all these horrible things are happening to the bees," what with all the new customers all the time.

Geez, am I getting cynical or what?

The Author didn't even actually quote what Randy Oliver said. So we don't know what else he may have said to the Reporter. Having been misquoted and taken out of context by Reporters I don't automatically blame the person interviewed for statements with which I have a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Solomon Parker View Post
    Why the knee jerk, straight to abuse, reaction, to something that is an obvious 3rd hand cherry picked misquote?

Solomon the other posters have it correct, and you could grow personally by understanding and applying the principles alluded to in post #6
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Quote Originally Posted by TWall View Post
    It does seem like many colonies that go to almonds are treated this way. The honeybees are just a tool for crop production.
    Strikes me too that this is already being done on a relatively large scale. How many hundreds of thousands of hives will be migrating to CA…only to be placed in huge holding yards, fed pollen subs and HFCS to ‘fatten ‘em up’ for almonds.
    I can’t criticize Randy Oliver….it appears that he is just the messenger.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

I'm sure that's exactly the type of thing Randy was referring to and as such he was correct, not ignorant.

Then the reporter misquotes to sensationalise, which is what reporters sometimes do. The reporters job is to sell copy.

The only ignorance I see here is the failure to understand that, combined with the readiness to personally abuse Randy. Not a good look at all.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Quote Originally Posted by beemandan View Post
    Strikes me too that this is already being done on a relatively large scale. How many hundreds of thousands of hives will be migrating to CA…only to be placed in huge holding yards, fed pollen subs and HFCS to ‘fatten ‘em up’ for almonds.
    I can’t criticize Randy Oliver….it appears that he is just the messenger.
    Not to fatten them up but to get them through. From what I understand. Maybe that's just symantics.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    I'm sure that's exactly the type of thing Randy was referring to and as such he was correct, not ignorant.

Then the reporter misquotes to sensationalise, which is what reporters sometimes do. The reporters job is to sell copy.

The only ignorance I see here is the failure to understand that, combined with the readiness to personally abuse Randy. Not a good look at all.
    I'll bet that all of the names are correct.

Removed voluntarily by poster
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Not to fatten them up but to get them through. From what I understand.
    I dunno Mark. They want 'em booming earlier than nature would have them.
    I'm not being critical....I don't have any desire to take my bees to almonds....but I'm in no position to judge those who do.

Honeybees are non native livestock here in the U.S. .

You can treat em like hogs/chickens if you like.

However, it's a sore spot with some orthodox treatment free types.

You know, natural feed only...

Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast