Default feeding medium nucs

I have started 2 nucs from splits and now both have laying queens. They are in medium nuc boxes with drawn comb. Some honey and pollen. I would like to feed them sugar syrup to get them built up for winter. Shall I add a second medium nuc box with a queen excluder? Or leave off the excluder? My thought process is to winter them over and put in new full size hive next spring. I do not have any more drawn comb at this time. After extracting honey from adjacent hives in a month, I will have drawn comb. Plenty of bees are in both. One has sealed brood, and the other I just marked the newly mated queen. These are my first nucs started from splits. I let them raise one queen and the other nuc got a mated and laying queen. Any suggestions? Both have entrance reducers, and a screened bottom board.

Default Re: feeding medium nucs

If they fill most of the space available, yes, add a box. No, don't use the excluder.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

I agree with Michael, don't use an excluder. Also, swap a frame from the lower box up into the upper box when you add it. It will be a 'bait frame' to help get the bees moving up into it and using it. What type of feeder will you be using? I myself use an inverted canning jar in a hole in my migratory covers.

I have a choice of medium frame feeders with screen or hive top plastic feeders.I also have arobber screen available. Do not want it robbed out..

Another option is to just move them into a regular medium single box hive setup when the time comes - they overwinter great in my area of the south if you put mountain camp sugar on top after Thanksgiving.

But use the robber screen if you have one - it won't hurt anything and it might make a big difference if robbing is an issue. BTW, sometimes robbing is going on when there is nothing to indicate it other than that the hive is short on stores and failing to thrive. So use that robber screen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesfarms View Post
    I have a choice of medium frame feeders with screen or hive top plastic feeders.I also have arobber screen available. Do not want it robbed out..
    I would go with the hive top feeders or use pail feeders over inner covers. I recently bought some of these:

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/ite...=searchresults which hold 2 quarts of syrup, and they fit inside a five frame nuc box.

I try to fill or change feeders in the evening or very early in the morning.
    BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

Are they 5-frame medium (6 11/16") nucs? If so, I'm with Laferney - move them to a full box first. Holding the heat in is more efficient that way. It's perhaps a bit late in the year to get 2 full boxes drawn and filled, unless you have a great fall nectar / pollen flow. Agree with MB, don't use an excluder when trying to grow a colony, only when trying for honey or queen rearing, and NOT in the winter.