Thread: Marking queens

Default Marking queens

I would like to mark my queens they have been raised this year and been laying for more than 2months have been told I should not mark them that the colney will reject them any input on what I should do would be appreciated

Default Re: Marking queens

I would mark them. There is always the possibility that the queen would be rejected, but it is not likely.

I mark every queen and I don't have any problems with supersedure because of it.

Here's an alternative as well, one of my queens from the WSU program

Sure does make them easy to find, I'll give it that, otherwise I'm not really into marking my queens, too many stories of it going wrong or something but it's probably not the norm.

The bigger risk is you killing her while marking her. Practice on a few hundred drones with next year's color. Then when you are very confident, do the queens with this year's color.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesqueenrearing.htm#colors
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Thanks for all the good advice

I mark all of mine - but it is definitely a learned skill. That little dot can be mighty hard to do right without smudging, especially if you have bad eyes. I should try that glued on number dot someday.
    NM desert/mountain beekeeper - Black Mesa Honeybees.

I reared queens and marked them for the first time this year. I used Mike Palmer's method as outlined in this video.

Be careful not to put too much paint. I learned the lesson when I got some on a queen's head. Thankfully the bees got that off her... phew!

I looked at paint pens, but decided against them because they dry out before you get a ton of use out of 'em. Testor's model paint will probably last until you need the same color again...

Adam

If you use a paint pen, DON'T leave it in the sun before marking! I wasn't paying attention and now have a queen that looks more like a giant lady bug. Not expecting here to be around long
    My wife says I have ADD, but, hey look- a chicken!

Paint pens are awful handy. All you have to do is mark some dots on something besides your queen to make sure it's primed and ready, and it's pretty fool proof. As far as them drying out - maybe, but they last one year for sure then use it for something else and get a new one in five years.

Bright fluorescent red sure does stand out nice.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

I really wish I didn't have to mark Queens, as I feel a bit bad about having to goop them up with paint. But if you want to breed, you pretty much have to do it in order to keep track of the queen in each hive - how old she is, and that the bees haven't swarmed or superceded.

A necessary pain, I'm afraid.

David, I hear you on the paint pen. I may grab one to try it. Costs a lot more. Even at the art store, I'm looking at probably 7 or 8 bucks a pen, vs. 2 and chance for a bottle of testors.

I picked an awesome red from Testors. That's one thing they offer - a ton of shades...

Adam