Default what to do with drawn comb

Question,
    I have recently harvested honey and now have several boxes of drawn comb. I want to put them out for the bees to rob what is left of the honey but concerned they will tear up the comb in the process. I will be taking these supers out west to work sunflowers and would like the comb to remain some what intact so that the bees will be able to put up more honey and not have to draw as much comb.
    What do y'all think?
    "It's better to die upon your feet than to live upon your knees!" Zapata

Default Re: what to do with drawn comb

Place them back on top of your hives for a day or two, the bees will lick them dry without damage.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio Zone 6A

If you have a friend that you work bees with you should donate them to him!
    "I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies." - Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by WWW View Post
    Place them back on top of your hives for a day or two, the bees will lick them dry without damage.
    Putting them on top of the inner cover is best, I think they don't recognize the super as part of the hive and usually will clean them right up!

Quote Originally Posted by NewJoe View Post
    Putting them on top of the inner cover is best, I think they don't recognize the super as part of the hive and usually will clean them right up!
    plop the inner cover right on top of the top brood box and then supers up from there?
    I'm the dude, so that's what you call me.

Quote Originally Posted by imthedude View Post
    plop the inner cover right on top of the top brood box and then supers up from there?
    Correct.
    Master Beekeeper (EAS) and Master Gardener (U Maine CE) www.beeberrywoods.com

I agree with the advice others have given above, if you put them out in the open the robbers will tear up the combs a bit. On top of a hive inner cover is the best.

how about cappings? divy those up across the hives somehow (maybe on the inner cover) or give them back to the hive(s) that you took them from originally?
    I'm the dude, so that's what you call me.

For cappings, I use those plastic hive top feeders, I think by Brushy Mountain, you just remove the inner cover and slap it on full of cappings and slip on an empty super over the feeder, then the outer cover. You have to remove the plastic guards (which prevent the bees from drowning when feeding syrup) at each end of the feeder before using it with cappings. Works great.