Default suspicious drone brood

My inspection yesterday introduced me to drone brood that I have not seen before. This is my first year of beekeeping and I have seen normal drone brood along the edges of the frame, but not occupying this amount of space. Check out the picture here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gsauh2ioyp...34335638_n.jpg

I've read about drone laying queens, but notice all the good brood pattern on the same frame. There are an additional 10-12 frames with good worker brood in the two deeps. I have noticed an influx of lazy drones throughout the hive within recent weeks. There may be nothing wrong, but looking for some advice. Let it bee? Remove it to keep drone population low? No varroa mites have been spotted...remove the drone brood for pest management?

Thanks for any suggestions!!!!

Default Re: suspicious drone brood

Welcome to Beesource!

Its my understanding that hives may at times raise up to 20% drone brood (compared to total brood). Your photo and description appears to be within that limit.

A common method of drone brood / pest management is to freeze the drone brood frame, but with a large quantity of worker brood on that same frame that would seem to be counterproductive.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Quote Originally Posted by Wisc_beek View Post
    My inspection yesterday introduced me to drone brood that I have not seen before. This is my first year of beekeeping and I have seen normal drone brood along the edges of the frame, but not occupying this amount of space. Check out the picture here.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gsauh2ioyp...34335638_n.jpg

I've read about drone laying queens, but notice all the good brood pattern on the same frame. There are an additional 10-12 frames with good worker brood in the two deeps. I have noticed an influx of lazy drones throughout the hive within recent weeks. There may be nothing wrong, but looking for some advice. Let it bee? Remove it to keep drone population low? No varroa mites have been spotted...remove the drone brood for pest management?

Thanks for any suggestions!!!!
    Like radar suggested. Feral hives and foundationless hives have alot more drones than kept hives on embossed foundation. I think the queen may need to offload unfertlized eggs. I also think a surplus of drones when not laying worker or drone layer is an identification of a very prosperous hive with lots of stores. Queen often lays drones in foundationless supers with larger cell size.

I would wait for seasoned professionals to chime in, but I don't think theres a problem, I wouldn't change anything. Have open honey super if on flow. Monitor ratio of drones/worker in fresh batches of brood. If you're around 20% no biggie.

That's a beautiful frame.
    "Let it bee"

yes a beautiful frame. Just be sure they have room...sometimes they will make a ton of drone right before a swarm

Welcome WB!
    americasbeekeeper.com
    beekeeper@americasbeekeeper.com

You have plenty of good solid worker brood. Natural drone comb can run as high as 25%.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

It looks like normally drone brood in drone cells, if the queen is going bad there will be some spotty drone brood in worker size cells.