Default Texas queens and other updates

I installed 3 Texas queens in nucs last Wednesday. One Hive just about absconded due to beetles, the second hive let the queen out in a couple of days and she is laying well.

The third nuc gave me trouble this morning, It started off when I removed stores a brood from a larger hive, I found a queen being balled on the bottom board, the laying queen was on the frames doing her job, but the young queen was in a pile of bees on the bottom board. So I removed enough bees and brrod to make two nucs, I put the young queen in one and the texas queen in the other. They were placed a few feet apart on the same hive stand (big mistake) The evening of the split, there were tons of bees on the outside of both nuc's fanning their Nasoenov glands. I never really paid much attention (another mistake).

I was thinking that the young queen was probably not mated or would not mate but I wanted to give her a try. I was going to let her go until today to shee if she was laying but I did not have my hopes up. I took everything out to the hives with me in order to combine the hives if the young queen was not laying. To my surprise, the nuc was packed with bees, and the queen was laying like crazy. I watched her lay about a dozen eggs and could see the eggs in the cells! Good deal huh?

Well I opened the texas queen nuc beside of it and there might have been 100 bees in it tending to the texas queen who was still in the cage (the candy almos gone). So I hurridly snatched two frames of brood from a different hive and placed them in the texas queen nuc, then I swapped the location of the two nucs hoping to balance out some of the foragers.

On another note, the texas queens running around on the frames are a sight! They have long abdomens that are tiger striped, Honey brown and black. Every queen that I have every had, had not had striped on her abdomen...Man these queens look good. Now if they can just lay and survive as good as they look, I will be good to go.
    "You have to put down the ducky if you wanna play the Saxophone!" Mr .Hoot

Default Re: Texas queens and other updates

I worked hives headed by BeeWeaver queens (from Texas) yesterday. I'm starting to perceive a trend that BeeWeaver queens are either great or not, and need regular (like weekly) checking. One hive that I stole lots of brood from a month ago to make up nucs is going gangbusters and I ended giving it a 3rd deep - I was using equipment on hand and have as a goal production of deep frames of honey to feed to nucs that are not building up quite so quickly. One colony that had a worker producing queen several weeks ago had a nice tight pattern of drone brood and no worker brood, so I stuck one of my nucs into it. I did not make the effort to find the drone layer - I may wish I had in another week or two. We are in a dearth here, but a good golden rod harvest is looking likely a few weeks from now. Stores look ok for now but nowhere close to winter ready.

One other thing I noticed is that of 6 marked queens installed in June, I only saw one yesterday. Either they are good at hiding or have been superseded. Time will tell.

That is good to know, I just had to try something different. Everything that I have bought or raised at home this year have been terrible. I have not had any queen luck this year, other than two hives.

My best beeweaver queen is 5 years old. I'm sure they have swarmed and she is probably a 3rd or 4th generation queen in there now but that one hive is my best honey producer every year. Zero treatments. Very good bees. I bought a couple beeweavers last year and they are just maintaining. Nothing spectacular. I have one hive here and 1 about an hour away and they are both the same. Didn't produce much honey and their numbers are ok. Could have just been a "bad" batch. I am going to buy some more and requeen these with a new batch of beeweavers and see.
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

Only problem with Beeweaver this time of year for me is the cost of shipping. The next-day shipping was almost as much as the queens were. The good part was that they had a "July Special" going on and it saved me $4 per queen.