Hybrid View

Default Anyone NOT like marshmellow for queen cages?

Is there a reason I shouldn't use it?
    I have kids, and always seem to have marshmellows around, and they're often a bit stale so...

Default Re: Anyone NOT like marshmellow for queen cages?

they work fine, but you will get a fast release.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Foster Collins View Post
    Is there a reason I shouldn't use it?
    I have kids, and always seem to have marshmellows around, and they're often a bit stale so...
    Marshmallows tend to get sticky when it's hot. I was moving a queen this year and put her in a 3 hole cage I had on hand, and stuck a small marshmallow in the exit hole. I checked in a couple of days to see if the queen was released and I found her dead, and all stuck up in marshmallow gue.

I think a marshmallow will generally work well though I have seen a few cases like Bill describes where they aren't able to clean it out even after a week or two, kind of like it turns into a glue or something. I experimented a few years back with lots of different type of candies, first putting them in a hive for a day and then experimenting with the most palatable in queen cages. The winner was the orange circus peanut which pretty much disappeared overnight in a strong hive save a little orange residue (do not use gummi candies). To use in a jz-bz queen cage I would crosscut a fresh one (they harden with exposure to air) into 5 pieces, and roll the pieces between my thumb and index finger to make a tapered plug which is inserted into the "tunnel" (which is slightly tapered as well) from the inside of the cage. We were getting pretty consistent 72 hour introductions from this method. There are lots of different brands of these so I might suggest a trial run first.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

And the upside is orange peanuts are delicious! marshmellos, not as much!

I haven't used a marshmallow before but my dad has and he hasn't seem to have an issue with it. What I do is make my own queen candy. I take powered sugar and just mix a little(very little) corn syrup with it and mix it around with a fork until I get slightly hard mix that is barley even sticky to the touch, then I pull a piece off and shove it in the cages exit hole until it is filled. I have only done this once but so far no issue.

Just make sure you leave the queen sealed up for 3-4 days before opening the cork and placing the marshmallow in the hole or she will be released very fast - like 2 hours. I usually just direct release them when it gets to that point, but I do use marshmallows too, as I just described.
    NM desert/mountain beekeeper - Black Mesa Honeybees.