Default Larvae and eggs in my queenless nuc

Any suggestions for making certain I am not taking the queen from the donor hive?
    Going my queen rearing calculator I opened my nuc to take out my nice frame of new wax for a batch of queens for my queen mating castle and as the title says had an immediate bad day. I did the same thing two years ago and need to find a better way to make certain my frames do not have a queen on them. In this case I checked my records and it had to have been from the yard 15 miles away on top of a hill that I need 4x4 to get too and the orchard owners permission. I found no fewer than 10 QCs per frame on 5 frames. Took the entire hive apart, shook all the bees off of the frames on the existing to verify that I got them all. I put 4 heavy laden frames into the castle and put the nuc back into the center of the hive. I am regretting not putting a piece of newspaper between the two hive bodies.
    The good part is that I did not thin out he cells until I got home. The bumpy ride down through the orchard crushed about 15 cells. I then took that number down to 3 of the best per section.
    I have seen where the bees are shook and the brood placed above the excluder for several hours but 3 of my little yards are 10-15 miles out and I do not want to sit there for a couple of hours waiting for the nurse bees to move back up.
    Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

Default Re: Larvae and eggs in my queenless nuc

>Any suggestions for making certain I am not taking the queen from the donor hive?

Either shake all the bees off and then give it to the queenless nuc.
    Or shake all the bees off and put it above an excluder so you know the queen is not on it and wait for the nurse bees to find it again and then give it to the queenless nuc.
    Or learn to spot the queen.
    http://www.bushfarms.com/beesqueenspotting.htm
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

whenever I do it, when i find a good frame, i give it a good twice over and place it in my nuc. I really look hard for the queen as I'm going through the main hive and hopefully find her so then I know she's not in the nuc. If I don't find her in the main hive, I just double check all the frames in the nuc again and that's about all you can do and hope she's in the main hive. If I'm really paranoid, I'll check the main hive one more time if it's a double or less.

If you put the frame you intend to take in a nuc you can also listen. If the queen is not on the frame they tend to start a "roar". If the queen is not in the hive THEY will usually start a "roar". It's not foolproof but it's a pretty good indication where the queen is.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

If I set the nuc alongside the donor hive will the bees cluster on the nuc in a fairly short period or will it take them a while to find her (if I got the queen)?
    I do have to admit that I have pretty much stopped looking for queens (from Mikes first post) just evidence and quality.
    My Corbett yard is under the 220 KV Bonneville dam lines and they crack and pop so much I did not even hear I had a 4 lb swarm about 6’ from me earlier this year. My hives at home (where I do my mating) are on the highway. I have just started with a couple of hives in two different locations and was really surprised at the noise at first. It brings another dimension to the hive for certain.
    Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

They will generally stay on the frame, with or w/o the queen.