Smile Requeening with cells

I want to re queen all of my hives(100) can I split and put a cell in everything and check in 15-20 days or should I break everything down and find the old queens and remove them, wait a day and install cells. If I do all hives with cells can I put the cell in the super above the excluder to protect her from the old queen, and hope she can get through the excluder before mating? Jim

Default Re: Requeening with cells

Good question. I too am interested in thoughts on this.
    Beekeeper? Shoot, my bees keep me!
    100 hives in Western Wa State

From what I've done and seen happening, if you place a cell in a queen right colony, the virgin will kill the resident laying queen. Virgins are little killing machines.
    If you look in front of the hive, you'll sometimes see the old queen dead or barely moving.
    Every now and then however, after placing a Q cell, the virgin will emerge, get mated and she'll share the crib with the original queen.

I don't think you need to use an excluder to requeen with a ripe cell. The two drawbacks that I see to this are you can't be sure that the process was successful, and if the virgin fails to get back from mating you will have a queenless hive when you should be having a fall build up. I guess you could account for this by splitting enough to make up for the misfires and then combining back any queenless hives. It would still be a lot less labor than finding all the old queens.

could any one that has tried this with there old queens being marked, please reply with what % of the qcells replaced the old queen. I have marked queens, have tried this off and on for many years. It only works when you go in the hive and find exhisting queen cells(they are already going to swarm), put in a queen cell that is ready to hatch and you beat them to the draw. other wise the q cell gets eaten out by the old queen 90 % of the time from what I have seen.
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

>I want to re queen all of my hives(100) can I split and put a cell in everything and check in 15-20 days

Yes. Except I probably would not find the time to check... but that's a good idea.

> or should I break everything down and find the old queens and remove them, wait a day and install cells.

WAY too much work for me.

> If I do all hives with cells can I put the cell in the super above the excluder to protect her from the old queen, and hope she can get through the excluder before mating?

The old queen is not a threat. She has no interest in queen cells or in virgin queens. I don't run excluders, and if the hive is populous enough and the nights warm enough, I'll put the queen cell in the supers so I don't have to move so many boxes. But I don't put the cells in until they are 14 days old (10 days after grafting them).
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF