Default Planting 5 day cells?

I just did a set of grafts today to try and raise some queens from my best hive to requeen some dodgy ones. Anyway, I am trying a different starter/finisher system that a friend who is a queen producer uses. A very strong queen right hive - grafts and all open brood above an excluder and a super of honey. I think he got this from a Larry Connor class. I know that it produces very nice cells, but the queenright hive often tears them down at the 11th hour. My friend uses an incubator to avoid this issue - I don't have one though.

So I'm wondering why can they not be placed in mating nucs as soon as they are capped?

Gonna build me an incubator next year.

Default Re: Planting 5 day cells?

I place in queen cells Today I grafted 7-22-13 but i placed them
    In mini Nucs that had there queen pulled 5 - 6 days before AFTER knocking off all emergency queen cells in the MINI'S

This is more or less a bump, but I'm kind of thinking that no one has a good reason not to go ahead and plant cells as soon as they are capped?

Velbert - do you think that it's critical for the mating nuc to be queenless for several days? What happens if they are not?

I guess it kind of makes sense That this should work - when you make up a nuc with a swarm cell you really have no idea how far along it is.

So I guess I'll give it a go.

I have planted 48 hour cells till right before they are capped. I have had good results with strong mating nucs finishing a single cell. If they finish it they accept it a lot better. This isnt something I do all the time but it does work good.

2 reasons it is usually done later in the cells life.

1. Cells are very tough just before they emerge.

2. Your nuc sits idle with no queen for an extra week. You'll go for almost 3 weeks with out any eggs being laid. The difference will be noticeable.

Incubator = box, cheap thermostat, light bulb + 20 minutes to strip the wires and hook them together. Doing it this year won't be a major investment of time or money.

Good luck

What Ryan says. Queen guys place cells on 9th or 10th day. Younger are fragile and thus take longer to reach egg laying.

It should work fine David. The cells are more fragile when they are first capped, and less fragile the day before emergence. They are not as fragile before they are capped. You might move them on the day before they are capped, letting the nucs finish them up. If you wait until they are capped, just treat them with care, no jostling around and keep them straight up as they are on the comb.

Thanks - I keep hearing the 48 hr cell thing mentioned, but not many details about it. I kind of thought that cells are fairly robust right when capped, but then get very fragile around day 7-8 before toughening up when they are finished.

I actually did consider slapping together an incubator in the next few days, but this is my last round of grafts this year and I don't really have time to mess about with a new gadget. Other bee related things that I need to finish this week have higher priority.

Quite often I place cells immediately after they're sealed. Sometimes I even place them just before they're sealed, or even just after the grafts are accepted (for the individual mating nucs to finish). Of course younger cells = longer time before the new queens are mated/laying. Still, it works well, either way. Since many of my mating nucs are queenless, I like giving them a cultured cell, instead of having them develop cells of their own from any young larvae they may have to grow them from.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Quote Originally Posted by David LaFerney View Post
    I know that it produces very nice cells, but the queenright hive often tears them down at the 11th hour.
    David, have you investigated the Ben Harden Method? I use it and write about it on my website: http://www.parkerfarms.biz/queenrearing.html From there it is linked to the original at Dave Cushman's website. I think the difference between that and what you are describing above is is frame dummies. I don't know if that would make a difference, but it seems to work for me.
    Solomon Parker, Parker Farms, ParkerFarms.biz
    11 Years Treatment-Free, ~25 Colony Baseline

After grafting i just placed into mini nuc that needed a queen cell and let them start and finish it.

This was only 48 hours after grafting