Thread: Stacking hives?

Default Stacking hives?

Any foreseeable problem with stacking two horizontal top bar hives with entrances facing opposite directions aside from making sure they are stable?

Default Re: Stacking hives?

Since top bars have to be worked more often and sometimes harvested more often; wouldn't it be a pain to have to take one off the top to work the other? I mean literally a pain in the back. Aside from the weight, you would have many more disoriented bees around when you removed the top one. You would also risk breaking comb. I would think sitting one next to the other would be better.
    Fines are taxes for doing wrong. Taxes are fines for doing right.

Quote Originally Posted by NCbeek View Post
    Since top bars have to be worked more often and sometimes harvested more often; wouldn't it be a pain to have to take one off the top to work the other? I mean literally a pain in the back. Aside from the weight, you would have many more disoriented bees around when you removed the top one. You would also risk breaking comb. I would think sitting one next to the other would be better.
    Yeah I suppose that would make it tough. I was just thinking of putting a short swarm box on top of an existing for just a few weeks while I knock together a full size hive. Its out in a farmers field and it took us forever to get the first hive level. I think you are right though...might create more problems than it solves.

Thanks!

I think you should to try to put your nuc in the spot where your new hive will be so that you don't lose the foragers. I just experienced this for the first time and it was a dramatic hit to the nuc that I moved. I had a new nuc in the spot where I was going to put the new hive but had a more mature nuc that was bursting at the seams and decided I had to hive that one instead. I swapped the new nuc for the old. It worked out well because the newer nuc needed the boost and is now really taking off but it did set the nuc I hived back a bit. They are recovering quickly but I will remember the lesson.