Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Question about CheckMite +

I am moving away from the coumaphos. Trying various traps. Going to try John's traps at the entrance later this year. Of course, his traps use coumophous at the entrance.

JimmyA

Yes, I agree, I am looking to see the solution. **** beetles, there is always something coming along causing trouble. Hopefully, someone will have a total solution. I think Dr. Spivic is doing well with her research.

JimmyA

I was reading somewhere about making a Wintergreen disc and putting it on the top bars of brood frames. I have not tried that yet.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyA View Post
    there is always something coming along causing trouble. Hopefully, someone will have a total solution.
    I think you would do well to let go of this idea. History has proven that there is no total solution.
    Regards, Barry

That's right, that's right, that's right!

I've used checkmite for SHB the last two summers. Nothing is as satisfying as picking up that little square of cardboard and seeing dozens and dozens of dead beetles under it. I do get a better kill on solid bottom boards, but have saved hives by putting it on the sbb in a corner so the beetles will seek refuge there. I normally don't put them in unless I see a couple of dozen beetles or if the hive is weak and I see any. I have a large beetle problem from june to september, I can watch the beetles fly to the hives when they disc the cucumber and watermelon fields around me.

Maybe I should move my cardboard pieces to the corner as I have SBB. I have it in the middle of my screened bottom boards plus I have beetle oil traps at the top. Those top traps are so close to the top board, I don't see how the bees can clear the small place.
    Last edited by JimmyA; 08-09-2013 at 04:28 PM.

Yes, I removed by double-strip on cardboard and used one-half strip on corrigated plastic and put in the corner for both nucs. I took out the cardboard. Those nucs are on constant sugar syrup. Hope I can get them built up before winter.

JimmyA

Not to out due anyone with their SHB problems, but listen to what my situation is ..

I have 4 hives, and 1 double-nuc box.
    For the last 3.5 weeks I've been replacing, due to them being almost full - 3 to 4 betterbeetletraps out of each hive - every 5 days. I've also been killing between 20 and 45 that are 'loose' running around the telescoping top each time I remove it - as well as about 90 the other day that were congregating along the screened bottom board whenever I decided to swap the deep boxes around. Think you've got it bad - try fighting this battle. I use diamatious earth around the hives, have 'installed' Nematodes around the hives a week ago, the hives are in a 75% sunny spot with the exception of 1 hive - which I'll move this weekend.
    I've removed the inner covers to keep them from having any other hiding spots in the hives, and use only screen bottom boards. I think I'm going to have to resort to using checkmite+ because if I don't, I'll probably loose 1/2 my hives this winter. All hives are around 70% bee population and there isn't "more room" than they can take care of. I'm feeding them 1-2-1 sugar water now with HBH to keep their numbers up and encourage the queens to keep laying.

so... thought you had it bad huh ??

Just for information, I am using Beetle Blaster trap at the top of frame around brood frames and I found 25 beetles in the trap. Initially I saw 8 in the hive. Just because you don't see them doesn't mean you don't have any. I bought a bottom board by Miller Bees Manufacturing. It's a nice bottom board with a special area in the back to trap hive beetles with oil. Nice board. You can use traps and coumophous and other things but you will still have hive beetles. They are devious. They fly 6 miles or more so treating your soil won't help much. They can smell a hive for miles.

I've heard the flight-path mentioned many times before also, and have also heard that the larva can potentially crawl a long distance in search of some ground area in which to bury - and gestate. Somebody needs to come up with some type of hive-smelling lure trap - sort of like what's used for June bugs. This trap could be places somewhere else around our apiaries to lure them into their death ....

The Japanese beetle traps would be a good example. The bugs fly around eating plants, especially grape vines. They lay eggs in the ground which turn to larva, eat grass roots and in the spring fly from the ground to repeat the process. I used diamiticulous earth (sp) and grub killer.
    I guess trapping works pretty good for now. But you have a good idea!

Another option is to put a little piece - 1-2" of checkmite inside an old fashioned CD case - not the new slimline cases. The beetles can get in through the little slots in the sides and on some through a hole in the middle - bees can not. It will kill a lot of beetles and the bees can't get to it at all. It also only requires a little piece of checkmite per trap so that probably also limits exposure. Follow the precautions if you do.

But I concur - 10 beetles in a hive is like no beetles at all. Don't do anything if that is all you see. For sure don't use check mite.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

Good idea with the old CD cases. Let's see, you open your hive and see 8 beetles. Wow, you think I sure am lucky, some people have hundreds. Then you put in a Better Beetle Blaster trap. You check a few days later and you find 25 hive beetles. I think you should be concerned. These beetles don't mess around. I would suggest being proactive before they take over your hive. They are very aggressive.

JimmyA
    Last edited by JimmyA; 08-15-2013 at 05:14 PM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyA View Post
    I am moving away from the coumaphos. Trying various traps. Going to try John's traps at the entrance later this year. Of course, his traps use coumophous at the entrance.

JimmyA
    For what it's worth, I've decided that John's traps and the beetle blaster are about the same as far as effectiveness goes. The oil traps are less aggravating. Stick a couple between the frames and pull them when they've done their job. The bees don't propolise the holes either.
    Try it. What could happen?

My point was that people said I didn't have any problem if I just saw 8 beetles. I started to believe them until I put in that beetle blaster trap and found it full with 25 beetles. Then I realized this is a new problem not to be ignored. I am going to wait about a week and see what's in those traps.

Try using the Beetle Barn. I just installed them in my hives.

The problem I've had with the betterbeetleblaster traps is that the traps don't sit 'flat'. This give some refuge for the shb to hide under, but I've found a solution...run your fingers along both sides before you remove them and you wont believe how many extra you can kill.
    I'm using the small cd-cases with some experimental baitin them now, in addition to the traps on top. I just put them on the screened bottom boards this am so it'll update back in a few days as to their effectiveness. I wanted to use the larger cd-cases but thought the bees might be able to get in thereto the checkmate. Where do you make the holes for the larger cases?

The ones I use have 4 slots in them already which are big enough for beetles but too small for bees.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

I have a Beetle Barn on the top frames too but it is a tight fit. Everything I have tried always collects Hive Beetles.

JimmyA

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast