Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Question about CheckMite +

I put a small coumphas strip in there and used John's roach bait. I don't have any supers. This is a brood box. Brood is doing well. I'll see how it goes and get back.

Not too much success, or a measurable difference using the "bait" but will look into the beetle barns and update back.

I tried these with a little cheap cooking oil this was 2 days on and after i thought i had smashed most all of the shb there was 12 in the oil

I just checked one of my hives that has 3 betterbeetleblaster traps in it. Although these traps seem to work - most of them are not laying 'flat' in the hives and it gives plenty of room for the shb to hide under the sides. time to search for another product, and figure out how to use the check mite product - even though I've been resisting it. Here's a picture of what I scrapped off, after scrapping the tops - to kill what didn't flee after I removed the top. pretty convincing evidence, i'd say .. This was under only 1 of the traps, I had almost as many under the other one. So that makes 2 out of 3 that aren't much good - cause they don't always lay flat.

undershbtrap.jpg

Although these traps seem to work - most of them are not laying 'flat' in the hives and it gives plenty of room for the shb to hide under the sides. time to search for another product, and figure out how to use the check mite product - even though I've been resisting it.
    If you take the two frames where your traps are and push them apart just a little, you will be able to lay them flat. It does not take much. Then, after you put the trap in, push the frames back together. If the trap stays flat, then great. If it rises up, then just leave your frames a little apart. You might be able to get away with moving just one side of the frames apart (just offset the trap of center).

To me, leaving a couple of frames apart is worth it not to have to deal with the chemical and huge inconvenience of using checkmite.
    Try it. What could happen?

Tried that, as I only have 8 frames in a 10-frame box - just for this reasoning. I'd thought the same thing at first glance because as I pushed the frames back together, the traps would 'buldge' up - so I pushed them further apart to get them (or at least try to) to lay flat.

I've had good luck doing this: After ungluing the frames from the box, push the beetle blaster between two frames that are completely together. It will move the frames only the amount they need to be moved.
    Try it. What could happen?

Going to check mine later this week. I have Beetle Blaster and Beetle Barn. Just had a bunch of new Minnesota Hygenic babies hatch out. They were flying out in front of the hive so clean and baby-like. They don't know what life is about yet, but they were clean and cute baby bees.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyA View Post
    Just for information, I am using Beetle Blaster trap at the top of frame around brood frames and I found 25 beetles in the trap. Initially I saw 8 in the hive. Just because you don't see them doesn't mean you don't have any. I bought a bottom board by Miller Bees Manufacturing. It's a nice bottom board with a special area in the back to trap hive beetles with oil. Nice board. You can use traps and coumophous and other things but you will still have hive beetles. They are devious. They fly 6 miles or more so treating your soil won't help much. They can smell a hive for miles.
    I might add they are very good at hiding from you! But the bees know right where they are. Your point is an excellent one, just because you don't see any or <10, <20 etc.,etc. doesn't indicate no need to be watchful. Use the Beetle Blaster type (passive) traps for a early warning indicator. If your one of those that aren't having a beetle problem you might be in for a surprise.

A strong hive is a healthy hive and that hive will be able to defend itself from most hazards, but we are obliged as BKeepers to assist them in these domesticate Bee Homes. JMO