Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Coloring Beeswax Candles

41K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Bee Bliss 
#1 ·
One thing I've been wanting to do but would like some advice on is when
making beeswax Candles, how do I dye them different colors?

Specifically, Can I just use any old dye, or can I possibly ruin the Candle
if I don't use a specific process or type of dye? I just want to be able
to make like say Red candles for holiday, that sort of thing.

#4 ·
Mann Lake, Betterbee and some others sell beekeeping supplies and candle supplies. They are also online.

You can use the color chips for candles or even use the candle honeycomb texture sheets to tint your wax. If you dip your candles, you can just make the last two dips in colored beeswax.

#7 ·
There are color chips that can be used to color beeswax. Most candle supplies I buy are from either Mann Lake or Betterbee. I have also used (gasp) the honeycomb sheets that they sell in various colors to color beeswax. Keep in mind that the color you add will be affected by the natural color of the beeswax. Think blue and yellow yields greenish unless you use enough blue color. Also, melted wax is quite a different color from what it ends up like when solid.

While I have dipped natural (uncolored) beeswax into colored beeswax for the final two dips, I don't like the candles as much. They are not as crisp. It was more work, too. Now I just color all the wax I will be using for that candle.

I never add fragrance or essential oils to my beeswax candles, preferring the natural sweet scent of beeswax. Scents like those from E.O. or synthetic are not meant to be burned. I will also never add any paraffin wax to my candles. For special occasions, I will add bayberry wax (from the plant) to beeswax.

Anyone that sells colored beeswax candles will identify them as such as beeswax is a selling point. The natural candles seem to glow throughout the top portion of the candle. The tinted candles don't seem to do that. I do get bloom on all my BW candles - natural or tinted.

Look for that bright glowing ball in the flame area of a beeswax candle. Very cool!

All said and done, I prefer the natural beeswax colors ranging from almost ivory to yellow to golden. People buying candles like color options in addition to the natural look.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.