Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Factors affecting honey viscocity

5K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Michael Bush 
#1 ·
I know water/sugar content is a major factor. Does the nectar source(s) make a difference. I just did my first extraction (crush and strain) of four 100% capped frames of honey. The honey seems a LITTLE less viscous (i.e. less thick) than some purchased honey i have. My honey is a very light color while the thicker honey is a darker amber. I'm worried about the water content of my honey. Should I be, considering the frames were 100% capped? I know i should just purchase a refractometer but I'd prefer to hold off on that purchase for the time being. thanks.

#2 ·
Its unusual to have capped honey that is too high in moisture though I have heard it can happen. Some honey sources produce a heavier bodied and naturally lower moisture honey than other sources. I would guess you have little to worry about.

#6 ·
Yes perhaps if its been very wet and humid. Source, heat and "humidity" effect drying in hives. My hives get it right in kentucky, never had a fermentation problem.

Better to say factors influencing specific gravity. A refractometer is one of the only reliable ways of determining moisture levels. The instrument measures the specific gravity (density), esentially the index of refraction is linearly proportional to the amount of sugar. More sugar reflects more light therefore you can determine the moisture content or inversely the sugar content relative to pure water. Make sure your honey is clean, free of wax, air bubbles, oils or our other stuff from crushing that will throw off measurement.

I suppose if you had a very accurate volume and mass you could make the same measurement relative to a particular temperature.

Honey will absorb and release mouisture from environment as function of heat, air movement, surface area and humidity. There are drying, humidity, temperature, time tables available from studies. I believe at 55% relatively humidity honey will steady state around 18% or when dried the minimum moisture level that can be achieved is 18%. 40% is like 15%. Can't really remember, i gotta be close.

Sorry guys if this bored you im mechanical engineer and its raining this morning with nothing to do outside.

#11 ·
> Does the nectar source(s) make a difference.

Yes. Some is very viscous even at the same water content.

Thixotropic = A quality of a liquid where its viscosity gets thinner when shaken, stired or agitated and thicker when left undisturbed so that it becomes a gel. In the case of honey some honey sources have this quality such as heather and manuka and these often require special ways of extracting.

In my climate, if it's 90% capped it's dry enough. But in some more humid climates this is not true.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.