Hybrid View

Default Need help identifying a bee

Hello. First year beekeeper here. I have a hive of Italian bees (I think - that's what I was told) but I'm seeing a different bee mixed in with mine. While mine are more yellow stripped and blunt shaped this bee is darker and it's tale end is black. It's also shaped almost wasp-like with a very narrow abdomen. They haven't been aggressive and ignore me around the feeder. My honeybees will check them out but they don't bother each other. You can see both bees in the attached picture. Mine is the yellowish one at the top and the other bee is the dark one at the bottom. Can someone tell me what kind of bee that is?
    Bees.jpg

Default Re: Need help identifying a bee

It's one of urs probably, just lost most of it's hair somewhere so it looks different.

Unless your queen was artificial inseminated with pure Italian drones sperm I would side you have a mixed bred hive.

As far as I can tell they're not in the hive. I meant to say that these different looking bees have shown up on the bee feeder. We're in the midst of summer and there's not much flowering going on so I just started feeding my bees sugar water until the fall flowering starts. So far they're all getting along ok even though they're competing for their food.

Looks like a wet bee to me.
    Probably, got wet when you where refilling feeder.

I have had some just like that inside one of my hives. It was a hive that swarmed and I first saw two of these inside after the swarm cells were being torn down. I first thought that it was virgin queens. They are a tad smaller than my workers. Some of the workers pay them no attention and others are just aggressive enough to run them off, but not really attack them. If i can get a pic uploaded...image.jpgimage.jpg