Default put a caged queen in trap out

I'm curious and this has probably been asked before--wouldn't a caged queen draw out a queen in a trapout situation? Esp if getting the queen is a goal, and thus move the process along a litte faster?
    Has anyone done this?
    "Rule Three of beekeeping...Never cease to feel wonder" Laurie R. King--
    March 2010; +/- 30 hives, TF

Default Re: put a caged queen in trap out

I haven't but that's a pretty good idea it would seem. I did one trap out this year, and I put a frame of eggs in it, and they raised their own queen. By the time I pulled the hive, they raised a queen, and she hatched and is laying like a bandit. Although it took a while. If you had a spare queen seems like it'd work.

Brad

Already tried this a couple weeks ago and the bees found anouther way back in but not before getting to the caged queen and killing her. May have worked if the bees didn't find anouther way back in.

good luck

David

I brought the trap out box of bees home this morning and only took a very quick peek inside. It had plenty of bees, though I don't know yet the statue of the caged queen, or if it drew out the tree's queen. I placed the caged queen along with a frame with alot of open brood last Sunday.

I want to give them a few days to settle in and then I'm moving them to a 5 frame nuk. Right now they are in a 4 frame press board nuk. The tree cone looked to have an area where bees were still able to get in and out. I was pleasantly suprised how many bees were in the box. I'm not doing anything more with the tree and it still has plenty of bees also.

I will post the queen results when I get into the hive.

There was no queen in the trapout box. There was 3 full frames of bees, and they started queen cells on the frame of brood I put in. The queen I put in, for some reason, was gone. I had her in a queen clip--guess that wasn't the best way. I was too afraid of losing her if I tried putting her in a california box. She wasn't a strong queen to begin with and from a spring swarm.