Hybrid View

Default Most useful thing to do with failing hive?

I've got two hives started from packages this year, one's doing great, tons of bees, lots of honey, looking really strong, the other never really took off, I think they were queenless for a while, then (maybe) had a queen for a little while (I suspect the superseded the package queen), but they are now clearly qeenless and have been so for at least an entire brood cycle (no brood except a few drones).

Anyways,
    My main question is what to do with the few bees and comb that remain, should I just plop them into the other hive? Anything I should be worried about while doing that? It seems unlikely that it would cause any real problems, the stronger hive is SO much stronger and has SO many more bees. Maybe I should just brush off the few remaining bees and donate the drawn out comb to the other hive?

There's maybe 3 halfway drawn bars of comb and one full bar of comb. Probably if all the bees got on one comb they might make up a single full bar of bees. The strong hive has at least a dozen full bars of bees+comb

Default Re: Most useful thing to do with failing hive?

One frame of old bees are of no use to any colony this late in the season, especially if the could be carrying heavy varroa/virus loads. Be sure to inspect the comb for any signs of disease before you add to the other colony.

Brush the bees off onto the ground and let them beg their way into your other hive. Then add the drawn bars to the hive without the bees on them. I think this is a safer way to join, than just adding frames of questionable bees into a hive.

I am with Ray, but earlier in the season they would be great to use as a mating nuc for a new queen.

Do a newspaper combine.

I think that's what I'll do. I doubt they are diseased - I'm just fairly certain they're queenless and pretty much always have been. Brushing off the bees and transferring the comb over sounds solid.

Just be sure you don't transfer laying workers. I believe that is why RayMarler recommended brushing the bees off outside and making them beg entrance.