Default New Queen, When to Expect to See Eggs

I just re-queened a hive. How long should it take to see new eggs?

Default Re: New Queen, When to Expect to See Eggs

The queen may start laying by the third day that she is out of the cage- but I cannot see eggs - my glasses are not that strong.
    By the tenth day the larva are large enough for even me to see.
    Charlie

Just checked my bee journal. I actually re-queened this hive on 7/14. Pretty sure I saw no eggs, but definitely saw the new queen. Should I look again to make sure? What if there really are no eggs in there from the new queen?

I have been feeding them candy sugar and more recently honey, just to make sure they are no hungry and having to adjust to a new queen at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by SunnyR2000 View Post
    Just checked my bee journal. I actually re-queened this hive on 7/14. Pretty sure I saw no eggs, but definitely saw the new queen. Should I look again to make sure? What if there really are no eggs in there from the new queen?

I have been feeding them candy sugar and more recently honey, just to make sure they are no hungry and having to adjust to a new queen at the same time.

I have had major problems with requeening this year, some die in the mailing box before I can get them in the hive, some have been slow to start laying, some won't lay a lick and are quickly replaced by the hive. It's been a less than 50%/50% success this year.
    Black Queen Cell Virus or something else?

Yeah, me too. Had to requeen both of my new nucs this year. One colony killed their queen and the other colony had a slow starter. Kept this queen in a nuc as her brood pattern was starting to look better. She is in a "test" nuc now to see how she is doing. Can't deny the presence of several supercedure cells though.

Population in both of these was limited to the first deep, not even full, after two months. Had to requeen both. Didn't see any eggs in the first colony. Still have to check the second, but I didn't want to jump the gun and pop in there too soon.

Accidentally killed the queen in a third hive. Ugh. Had to requeen that one, too. Received a nice, strong queen. Saw her walking around in there today, but also saw four new queen cells all around where her cage was still attached to the frame. NEW QUEEN CELLS. I removed them. She better get to laying QUICK. Should have introduced her in a push-in cage. Couldn't get the darn thing to push in. It kept coming loose. The nurse bees seemed pretty happy to see her, flitting their wings and parading. *Fingers Crossed*

This year has been a real challenge.
    Last edited by SunnyR2000; 07-24-2013 at 08:28 PM.

OK, here is the deal. Will someone with experience please weigh in? Second year beek here and this year is the Year of the Crappy Queen.

**Keep in mind I am pretty good at spotting the eggs. Took a flashlight out there with me just to be sure.**

Hive #1: Just went through that hive again and confirmed it - no eggs. No new larvae, nothing. Lots of beautiful drawn comb, waiting for eggs- they have drawn out nearly all the frames. Didn't spot this new queen, but she was in there this morning. Poor bees - they were working on a new supercedure cell, but literally, NO EGGS. Just a little brood left from the last queen. This hive killed the last slacker queen. Date of replacement: 7/14.

Hive #2: Didn't go through the other hive I re-queened at the same time with a queen from the same breeder. They had a lot of action at the front door and I suspect a little robbing from their next door neighbor sister hive. Nothing too serious, just didn't want to expose them. Need to check for eggs in there, too. Date of replacement of this queen: 7/14

Hive #3: A little hot. This is the one I just re-queened with the super queen, the one I found all those FILLED supercedure cells in this morning. They had released her and she was cruising around - once I saw her, I closed it up. Didn't want to stress them out any more. Date of replacement of this queen: 7/22 (too soon to check, but glad I did with all the new supercedure cells right next to the new queen's cage)

Nuc: I removed the queen from Hive #2 and placed her in a fat nucleus to test her. Noticed her brood pattern was cleaning up towards the newer frames. Just checked - saw brand new eggs. Decent pattern from what I could tell - rain came in and I had to close her up.

Concern:
    Hive #1 - is this queen a dud? They are being fed like the others. Is 10 days enough?
    Hive #2 - is this queen laying? Gotta' check tomorrow.
    Hive #3 - are they going to kill this super queen? Are the five new supercedure cells (since I a clue they don't like her or should I give her some time to start laying?
    Nuc - glad I kept this queen, just in case.

What would you do?

OMG, Beekeeping is going to kill me this year. At least Hive #4 is doing really well!!
    Last edited by SunnyR2000; 07-24-2013 at 10:29 PM.

If you requeened on 7/14 that's almost 2 weeks ago. Do you notice any lowering in the bee population in there? If the queen is in there hence accepted I'm sure she's laying and I wouldn't bother her. However if you see the number of bees dropping then she is a dud. I started checking my bees once a week so I can see changes more dramatically. I only check to be sure they're flying most days.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBuzz View Post
    If you requeened on 7/14 that's almost 2 weeks ago. Do you notice any lowering in the bee population in there? If the queen is in there hence accepted I'm sure she's laying and I wouldn't bother her. However if you see the number of bees dropping then she is a dud. I started checking my bees once a week so I can see changes more dramatically. I only check to be sure they're flying most days.
    No, I provided a couple of frames of brood to them from other hives when I re-queened.

My plan:
    Give Hive #1 a couple more days for eggs. If no eggs, pull dud queen and combine with NUC.
    Check Hive #2 today for eggs. If eggs, leave alone. If no eggs, uh-o.
    Leave Hive #3 alone and hope for the best. Continue to feed.

Sound good? Am I missing something?

I don't even feed my splits. If you gave them frames with honey and they have foragers you should be fine. Sugar messes up their intestines.

There was not a lot of honey in any of my colonies. See the above problems for why. Had to feed them something, so I fed them comb honey from last year. Just a little something to distract them from killing a new queen.

WOO-HOO! There are TONS of beautiful eggs (and larvae!) in Hive #2.

So...the remaining issues. Hive #1 no eggs. Today is officially 11 days after re-queening. I'll give her 3 more days...then it is officially 14 days after re-queening, so she will be culled and the hive will be combined with the NUC. All for one and one for all...

You should have seen those bees jumping all over the comb honey - their wings were flitting. They were obviously happy to see it.

It could be as long as two weeks. It could be a short as immediately...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    It could be as long as two weeks. It could be a short as immediately...
    HEY! It was your website I was basing my "two weeks until freak out" on!

http://www.bushfarms.com/beespackages.htm
    "Don't freak out if the queen doesn't lay right away

Some will lay as soon as there is comb " deep in the hive. Some take as long as two weeks to start to lay. If they aren't laying in two weeks they probably aren't going to and it's time to freak out."